cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a new router

krobison17

Looking for a new router

I am currently using the BT box connected to a Vigor router but am looking to replace this setup for a couple of reasons. Firstly I would like a single box doing both jobs, but this isn't a requirement. More importantly the WiFi on my router is dying a slow death and so needs replacing.
What routers are people using that they would recommend?
30 REPLIES 30
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Looking for a new router

I have just bought a Billion 8800NL for my line as a all in one. Seems to be working great  Smiley
Mark
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm happy with my TP-Link TD-W9980 - it synchs slightly faster than either of the BT modems I have tried, and the connection is very stable. Good wifi too.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

AVM Fritz!Box 7390 is fantastic if you intend to use all of its features, oterwise it's overpriced, even more so the 7490.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
TimStephenson
Grafter

As another couple of options for one-box solutions, have a look at the Asus DSL-AC68U. Stable & fast VDSL modem; great wifi performance and the best wifi range I've come across so far  across both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz.  Also supports AC wifi if you have any compatible bits of kit.
If you don't need anything complex in terms of home networking or the ability to customise stuff, then it might also be worth looking out for a BT HomeHub5. Good wifi, solid sync & generally reliable. They also work a treat on Plusnet FTTC.
JasonMassey
Grafter

I'm using a Vigor 2860n can't fault it, not a single issue in almost 12 months.
WiFi performance is fine including outside house in the garden!
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2860
krobison17

Quote from: TimStephenson
If you don't need anything complex in terms of home networking or the ability to customise stuff, then it might also be worth looking out for a BT HomeHub5. Good wifi, solid sync & generally reliable. They also work a treat on Plusnet FTTC.

The BT routers used to be basically un-configurable by the end user, has this changed at all?
Quote from: JasonMassey
I'm using a Vigor 2860n can't fault it, not a single issue in almost 12 months.

It is a 2830 I am using at the moment and it is my third Vigor, I'm just not as happy with the reliability as I once was.
TimStephenson
Grafter

Quote from: krobison17
The BT routers used to be basically un-configurable by the end user, has this changed at all?

The HH5 lets you configure LAN IP addressing, assign fixed IPs to devices, forward ports, setup DMZ forwarding, configure WIFI etc.  However.. you can't change local DNS server setup if you also want to use the HH5 as a DHCP service (defaults to whatever servers the ISP provides so you can't use OpenDNS or Google DNS and the HH5 DHCP);  have no control over any DSL modem settings (or visibility of any useful stats other than sync speed!); can't use IPv6 in any form & it doesn't have a built-in VPN server.
I also couldn't persuade our HH5 to allow a Vodafone Suresignal to connect - but this might have ended up being something specific to our combination of devices! 
If any of this matters to you, probably best to pick another router... if you want a simple to configure and pretty good ac wifi-capable router (and don't care about configuring local LANs/DNS/VPNs etc) - then the HH5's are worth a look.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Theres a list of available vdsl modem routers here
I confirm that the TP-Link TD-W9980 is a solid router and there's an unbiased review here.  There has been no further word from TP-link on the line stats and I believe progress in this area for now has been put on hold.  It contains the same chipset as the BT ECI modem and performs similar...  however.............
Personally I would recommend getting one of those with a BCM based chipset.  
Unfortunately I dont use the TP-link any more as the Lantiq chipsets sync a good 7Mbps less on my line despite me being on an ECI cab.  After a recent x-talk hit,  I can no longer get a full when 80/20 using it.
I'm currently using a BCM63168 based modem/router which gives me an additional 3.5Mb over and above the BCM 6368 based routers and easily giving me a nice steady 80/20 sync with a bit more to spare - Zyxel VMG8324 review
My personal choice would either be one of the Billions or Zyxels.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I will be looking for a combined modem/router soon so all the above information is great.
Kitz - you seem like a bit of an expert, and I wondered if there is a way to tell what equipment is in my cabinet?
I have the BT ECI modem (B-Focus V-2FUb/r Rev B) and it seems like it is a good idea to match modem chipsets to the cabinet. Hence the question about finding out what equip is in the cabinet.
Also, I was thinking about the TP-Link TD-W9980, which seems to get good reviews (I have read yours - thanks) however you mentioned it syncing a good bit lower because it used a different modem chipset to your cabinet.
I looked at your screen shot of DSL stats for the TP-Link, and although not that detailed, would likely be adequate for me (more than I currently get from the unlocked ECI modem!).
One last question, which you might be able to help with, as I can't find a definitive answer. I got fibre installed less than 2 weeks ago, and the installer did a VDSL extension from the MK3 master socket, using a good quality CAT6 cable I pre-installed. The cable is kroned into the VDSL extension connector on the MK3 socket. All OK there I think. But at the extension end, instead of using a simple RJ11 faceplate (which is supposed to come with the VDSL extension kit), he used another MK3 socket. I don't need or use a phone at that extension, just the VDSL modem. So I plug into the top socket of the MK3 faceplate (which is unfiltered), so OK there. However, my question is this... There is a filter built into that MK3 socket, which is connected to the line (even though I am not using it). So my line basically has 2 filters connected now. The original one in the MK3 master socket, and an extra one at the VDSL extension.
Will the presence of that additional filter affect performance?
Apologies for all the questions - but very interested to know if you have a view on that.
Thanks in advance for any assistance/input/feedback.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

One way to tell is to look at the cab http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

My best choice would be a Billion 8800NL Router. Ok, the gigabit lan port is only one port is a bit let down and not very high performance wifi either. But, I just connected via gigabit lan port and no issues so far as I used wifi for Apple TV, mobile phone & tablet without any problem. The Billion 8800NL is very strong ongoing stable connected for 66 days without no DLM yet. My FTTC cabinet is Huawei 288.
Billion 8800NL ongoing connection below:
xDSL
Mode VDSL2
Traffic Type PTM
Status Up
Link Power State L0
Downstream Upstream
Line Coding (Trellis) On On
SNR Margin (dB) 8.9 14.8
Attenuation (dB) 11.3 0.0
Output Power (dBm) 12.4 -1.2
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 90504 32337
Rate (Kbps) 79987 19999
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame) 239 237
M (# of Mux Data Frames in an RS codeword) 1 1
T (# of Mux Data Frames in an OH sub-frame) 23 42
R (# of redundancy bytes in the RS codeword) 0 16
S (# of data symbols over which the RS code word spans) 0.0955 0.3781
L (# of bits transmitted in each data symbol) 20104 5374
D (interleaver depth) 1 1
I (interleaver block size in bytes) 240 127
N (RS codeword size) 240 254
Delay (msec) 0 0
INP (DMT symbol) 0.00 0.00
OH Frames 0 0
OH Frame Errors 15319 13736
RS Words 0 4291836
RS Correctable Errors 0 205410
RS Uncorrectable Errors 0 0
HEC Errors 34261 0
OCD Errors 229 0
LCD Errors 229 0
Total Cells 2724042352 0
Data Cells 4030664896 0
Bit Errors 0 0
Total ES 5680 3607
Total SES 0 0
Total UAS 27 27

AndyH
Grafter

Does the Billion 8800NL have a gigabit WAN port?
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

No, the WAN port on the right side is 10/100. Not gigabit.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Oldjim. Based on your link, I think my cabinet is a Huawei 288 FTTC cabinet as it seems to have the double doors and is the same colour (if that goes for anything).
That means it likely uses the Broadcom modem chipset. And the ECI modem I have uses the Lantiq modem chipset. So a mismatch there. I wonder if I would see any improvement using a modem/router with a Broadcom chipset.