Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a cheap trouble free VDSL modem

FIXED
JamieLee2k
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Looking for a cheap trouble free VDSL modem

I came to plusnet not only because the price and speeds were right it was because I could use my own router, turns out with there own VDSL modem it’s limited and so I am looking for another modem so I can use my Linksys EA8300 Router, any recommendations?
9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Looking for a cheap trouble free VDSL modem

Options

1) Used Huawei HG612 BT modem from ebay

2) TPLink TD-W9970 set to bridge mode ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wireless-Support-UK-TD-W9970/dp/B013OXVA6M ) also available in Argos - ( I currently use one of these )

3) Netgear DM-200 set to bridge mode - https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/26379-netgear-dm200-100eus/

Hope that helps

Post back with any queries

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JamieLee2k
Hooked

I was looking at the Netgear DM200 but google has thrown up many results with people having issues, but as long as the settings are right I shouldn’t have any issues?
mnotgninnep

Try to match the chipset of what you buy to the chipset inside your cabinet. Eg. Huawei cab with broadcom chipset or ECI cab with Lantiq chipset. There are lots of posts online detailing how to find out. Sorry I don't have any to hand right now.

The TP link above has a broadcom chip I believe whereas the others are Lantiq.

JamieLee2k
Hooked

My Linksys EA8300 has a Qualcomm chipset so I am looking for a Modem that works with that chipset?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I've no experience personally of the DM200 I'm afraid , there's a kb here for setting it bridge mode https://kb.netgear.com/30773/How-to-set-DM200-into-bridge-modem-only-mode.

The only problem I've had with the W9970 is that it looks awful!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JamieLee2k
Hooked

I have just bought the Netgear DM 200 so I will see how it goes, Thanks for all the advice

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

Let us know how you get on with your new setup.

JamieLee2k
Hooked

Fix
turbotippy
Dabbler

If you can get an HG612 they are robust and just works perfectly. I put the hacked firmware on it, it never drops the connection, works flawlessly and stable.