cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Look at my dropped packets, is this right?

bigdaddy
Dabbler

Look at my dropped packets, is this right?

My new Plusnet broadband connection keeps dropping out. I've put a quality meter on it and it's showing lots of dropped packets. Does this graph look right? If not, is it suggesting a 'type' of fault? Plusnet says the line checked out OK.  

10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Look at my dropped packets, is this right?

Hi Bigdaddy,

A warm welcome to the forums.

A loss of packets such as this need not be an issue, depending on what's happening at the time.  Ping packets have low priority across the network, so if there is heaving usage (say streaming a video) then ping packets might well be lost.

Are you ADSL or fibre?  Which router is this?  Is there noise on your phone line? Dial 17070 option 2.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Actually, looking at that BQM, most of those packet loss spikes are occurring at the same time as a step change to the minimum latency. This suggests that the PPP session is dropping and Gateway is probably changing.
Are you Gateway hopping, or is your connection dropping perhaps?

If you are on ADSL and using the TG582n, you can look at the logs to see if the sync is dropping.
I'd certainly start by checking the line and doing the Quiet Line Test as suggested by townman. Try and do it everytime you notice this strange behaviour and perhaps at random intervals as well. Are you having any problems with incoming or outgoing phone calls?

bigdaddy
Dabbler

1) It's a fibre line

2) Original Plusnet router with BT modem

3) No noise on line

bigdaddy
Dabbler

Take a look at the latest ping graph.

1) Lots of problems this morning

2) Complete outage from 12 to 3pm. Nothing to me as I was out at the time.

3) Then everything settled down. 

Odd.Lost packets 2.jpg

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well I hope it has settled down and there are no more packet drops. If there's an open fault ticket, maybe an engineer attended the Cab and fixed something.

bigdaddy
Dabbler

Problem persists. I opened a support ticket  and got a reply that they have located and 'external network' problem and need 72-hours.

Interestingly on a couple of occasions, when I have started or ended a call I can hear what sounds like a fax machine handshake noise.  

bigdaddy
Dabbler

Latest graph

Lost packets 3.jpg

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Using the BQM myself and the only time I ever get red is when I switch the modem / router off.

Normally my graph is like so BQM

So certainly not right but it seems they are going to attend to the fault. All you can do is give them the time. One thing, Plusnet gave me the results of the tests that they carried out (via email) when I had a problem back at the beginning of the year. Handy thing to have.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

How's the connection looking now? The fault has been cleared back to us, so if it's persisting the next step is to get an engineer visit arranged.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bigdaddy
Dabbler

Update.

1) First I ditched the BT modem and Plusnet router for a Draytek 2860 unit. Small improvement.

2) Then I replaced the filter with a new VDSL wall plate for the master socket. Big improvement.

Since making both changes the sync and speed are solid.