Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Longstanding sync speed issue

timmcat
Dabbler

Longstanding sync speed issue

Hi.

I've been a fibre customer for ages (around three years from memory) and my line sync speed has always been significantly lower than the estimate and I thought it was perhaps time to get this looked at! My estimated line speed is 25 to 34.7 but whenever checked it's always syncing at around 22 to 23. Also, the current line speed is stated as 55mbps! (see screenshot). Router is plugged into the Openreach master socket.

This line sync speed was the same when using the old BT Openreach separate modem / router configuration (now on a plusnet hub).

No issues otherwise, no disconnections etc and latency is acceptable but, surely something is a little amiss?

sync speed.JPG

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Longstanding sync speed issue

Hi there, 

I've just been looking into this and there does seem to be a problem. Tests are showing that you're connected at around 22mbps which is well below the estimate. 

It would be a good idea to make sure you've followed all the troubleshooting advice here next: https://goo.gl/tu2WWu if that doesn't resolve the problem I'd then report a fault with us over at http://faults.plus.net

Let us know how you get on so that I can follow things up with you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
timmcat
Dabbler

Thanks Adam.
I did some checks yesterday and raised a ticket (158541369). Looking forward to hearing what you guys find out!

Cheers.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No worries, it looks like an engineer visit would be the next step. 

Someone has added a reply to the ticket explaining this in more detail. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
timmcat
Dabbler

Yep, engineer is coming tomorrow morning so, fingers crossed!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Marvellous! I hope that helps and keep us posted on here so I can follow things up with you. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
timmcat
Dabbler

The engineer came, did loads of tests and couldn't find anything wrong. Nice chap, very chatty and went to great lengths to explain what he was doing.

So, as a parting question, I asked him why ultimately, if he could find no fault, why was my sync speed was falling short of the minimum expected.... 'the estimate is wrong', he replied...

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unfortunately the estimates can sometimes be a little way out, the line is synced at 23.3Mb/s and whilst this is below the bottom of the estimates (25Mb/s) is is slightly above the MGALS (Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed) of the service. I'm sorry we're unable to improve this following the engineer visit.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.