Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long time speed issues - 2/.8 on 80/20 line

FIXED
Fimyannie

Long time speed issues - 2/.8 on 80/20 line

Hello,

I've had very poor internet for over a year, not sure when it became this slow though..

I recently discovered the openreach modem was faulty, as it would reboot every time a nearby door was closed, so I assume it's been rebooting multiple times a day for many months now, and this has probably put me on a banded line from sending faults back to the cabinet?

I replaced the faulty openreach modem and technicolour router with a TPlink Archer VR900 On May 1st 2018, and I haven't noticed any disconnections since then and now, but there has been no change in speed. I did manually disconnect/reboot earlier to run the BT speed test.

I also don't have a master socket, as it was removed by my plasterer or electrician when having major house work done and hasn't been put back - I'm not sure if it should have even been taken off..

I've been using the broadband only socket for internet and mobile phones for calls.

My speeds were not affected by the removal of the master socket at the time, so I am not sure if this is the direct cause of my current speed problems, as they are a lot more recent, but it's probably not helping either, and maybe it has damaged the line over time.

-Is it possible to check if I'm on a banded line?
  -How do I get taken off of a banded line if I'm on one?

-How do I arrange getting a new phone line and master socket refitted and relocated? 
  -How much will it cost?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Long time speed issues - 2/.8 on 80/20 line

Hi there.

-Is it possible to check if I'm on a banded line?

If you can PM me your username I'll be happy to check this.

-How do I get taken off of a banded line if I'm on one?

If this is the case and there's no obvious cause, we can request a DLM reset to remove the banding from the line.

-How do I arrange getting a new phone line

We can place a new line installation order for £49.99 but there's no guarantee the pair used will be new. The charge would be for an engineer to connect an existing pair if available to your property.

and master socket refitted and relocated? 

A master socket relocation order is basically what's called an Internal Shift and costs £160.

However, I'd recommend going down the route of raising a fault instead as if the problem is internal the most we'd charge you is £65 and an engineer would usually fit a new master socket if required.

Hope this helps.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Cheers for your private message @Fimyannie

Our tests are definitely showing what you're seeing....

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1625
Description Impairment in copper joint detected most likely in local network. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location LN
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 1.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 0.7 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 354.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-2M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-0.8M Upstream, Retransmission High

The above test results show your router in sync/banded at an extremely slow speed, flagging a potential line fault on the Openreach network, so I've raised this over to our suppliers now.

I'd expect this to be investigated by an engineer over the 1-3 working days. Occasionally whilst out on the job the engineer may try to contact you if they feel they need access to you property for the investigations.

If you do hear from them it might be worth asking them to renew/fit a master socket.

No worries if they need access and you're not available, we'll then arrange an appointment with you if necessary.

Let us know how things go over the next few days.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Fimyannie

I wasn't expecting to hear anything back so soon, especially today.

Happy to hear it's already in the process of being fixed, and I'll be back in touch to let you know how things go.

Thanks again for the help.

Fimyannie

Open reach came out this morning and replaced the line from the pole to the house.

Everything looks to be back up and running smoothly.

Speed on TP-Link is showing: 
-Current Rate Upstream: 19.99
-Max rate Upstream: 30.64

-Current Rate Downstream: 78.95
-Max Rate Downstream: 95.75

and 

speedtest.btwholesale.com/ is showing:
-Upstream: 17.26
-Downstream: 117.81

Is the btwholesale speedtest inaccurate?

I'm very happy with how my problem was handled, and how fast it was taken care of. No confusing back and forth phone calls with any customer support, just one forum post, and the rest was magically taken care of. Smiley

Thanks!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Glad to hear your speeds are back up. A nice speedy fix. Thumbs_Up

Is the btwholesale speedtest inaccurate?

Seems to be providing inaccurate results recently if you use Chrome or Firefox.

Out of interest, which browser did you use?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Fimyannie

I used Chrome.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for confirming.

This will be helpful with our investigations.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet