cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location of Master socket

DUGALHEATh

Location of Master socket

The master socket in my house is at the back of the property which is about as far away from where I will use the internet as it could be. It is possible to get a master socket installed in a better location?

7 REPLIES 7
typiod
Hooked

Re: Location of Master socket

Officially you would need Openreach to reposition the master socket unofficially you could do it yourself or get an ex bt person in or an electrician. My own master socket has moved several times over the years.

DUGALHEATh

The Openreach engineer said he was only able to connect the existing socket and not place a new master socket. This seems rather strange as the first thing you read in the accompanying booklet is that you need to have the router placed near where is is to be used and that it is better to use a master socket rather than an extension. . There may be a second socket in the upstairs front bedroom. I will check how that works.

typiod
Hooked

Thats about right with Openreach/BT staff as little work as possible, go the unofficial route, you are only extending a cable with usually only two wires connected.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Officially you’d need to ask Plusnet for a master socket relocation which costs £160. The engineer’s then allocated the time to carry out the work 

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Does the BT phone cable enter the property where the master socket is located at the rear of the property?

I would have thought that it enters at the front, as with most properties I've seen.

My master socket was located in a back room and I had a phone fault caused by the poor cable from the pole. The Openreach engineer installed a new cable but would not run it to the existing master socket. He did fit a new socket but it had to be at the front of the house and closer to the pole.

If your phone cable enters near the master socket, then ignore what I have written above! 

DUGALHEATh

The telephone line form the pole attaches at the front of the house and then goes through the loft and down the outside back of the house and in through the extension. Logically they should have ignored this and simply dropped a new wire and passed it in through the front .I will ring the help line and see what they say. Thanks for the advice. Sensible engineer too.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29