cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local postcodes have Fibre, But I Don't? *PLEASE HELP*

markiepoos

Local postcodes have Fibre, But I Don't? *PLEASE HELP*

Hello,

I am a current Plusnet user, my internet will get a maximum speed of 4mbps which is diabolically slow.

I have phoned up companies like, BT and Plusnet customer services and all they do is tell me to give them my line number and postcode which is what I can do on their sites. They just come back to me and tell me that I can get superfast broadband of 8mbps...

However, I have done some research myself and found out that 7 other local postcodes have the fibre of speeds between 30 - 80mbps.

I have search through this forum a bit and found a link which tells me the details of my cabinet on the end of my street which is about 20 metres away from me.

Here they are: Telephone Number 01978*** on Exchange WREXHAM is served by Cabinet 18

Cabinet 18 informationCabinet 18 information

I read on the thread that it may be because they're too far away from the exchange, the thing that confuses me is that the local postcodes are further away from Wrexham then I am and they can get it? 

The local postcodes I tried were: LL11 4FE - 35MB to 45MB, LL114QR - 65MB to 80MB, LL11FD - 30MB to 40MB

My postcode is: LL11 4AX 

Please, could you help me, I have literally been searching for an answer for over a year and my internet speeds restricts me on everything!!

Thank you

Mark

7 REPLIES 7
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: Local postcodes have Fibre, But I Don't? *PLEASE HELP*

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear about the Fibre issues, If I was to hazard a guess right now I'd assume the other cabs have better wiring and/or better routing of the cabling to the exchange. With those speeds we generally wouldn't offer the upgrade in all honesty.

Your best bet would be to keep watching that checker as it will get to a point where something will be done, unfortunately we can't say when. Either better speeds or newer technologies.

markiepoos

I have been waiting for over 2 years now, the cabinet has been FTTC Enabled since August 2013.

4MB broadband speed is terrible, my phone on 4G which can get 35MB download. 

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It says you are on cabinet 18.

Might be worth exploring to see how far away cabinet 18 is (it is marked on the cabinet) - although the route from the cabinet to your telephone might follow an excessively lengthy distance.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

@markiepoos wrote:

my cabinet on the end of my street which is about 20 metres away from me. 

My postcode is: LL11 4AX 

Are you sure? That postcode looks like a relatively new development and Google Streetview does not show anything that looks like a BT street cabinet anywhere near.

What makes you think your cabinet is nearby?

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

From here it looks like Cabinet 18 is on Mold Road, LL11 2AG, which looking on Google Maps by road it is 1.2 miles away.  The actual cable may take a much longer route than that though.

Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero

That distance is the distance to the exchange, not to the cabinet...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

According to telecom-tariffs.co.uk (sorry that link doesn't quite work), the approx. post code for Cabinet 18 is LL11 2AG, which is what I'm getting those distances from:

Cabinet 18.PNG

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.