Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live streaming to Twitch

FIXED
Ashridge
Dabbler

Live streaming to Twitch

I'm a content creator and live stream to twitch, since moving away from BT I'm finding the upstream connection very unstable and OBS studio is dropping 5-10% of frames.

Just to clarify, when I was with BT OBS studio didn't ever drop a single frame.

This is not a hardware or software issue at my end, all the equipment and software is the same, the only difference is changing from BT to PlusNet. Somehow they're messing with my upstream connection.

I'm on the unlimited 80/20 fibre package so nothing should be throttled. (this is the same package I had with BT)

Anybody else have this issue?

18 REPLIES 18
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Live streaming to Twitch

Hi there, 

I've just been running some diagnostics on the connection and we're seeing no obvious issues with the upstream at all. Is it a constant issue or just affecting you from time to time? If you're unsure it would help if you can make a record of the times it's been known to affect your streams. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Ashridge
Dabbler

Hi,

It happens every time I broadcast which is normally at weekends 12 noon till about 6pm.

Thanks,

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Ashridge,

Thank you for confirming that. I'm sorry for the inconvenience that this is causing you.

Although you've mentioned that nothing has changed on your side, I'd still recommend that you run through some troubleshooting checks just to rule out any problems with your internal wiring/equipment. As our tests aren't picking up the problem from here, it's likely that we'll need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate this further and the troubleshooting checks will minimise the possibility of a charge for this visit.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here. If these checks don't resolve the problem, the next step would be to connect your router directly to the test socket, which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the connection stabilises. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. Please see the following guide for instructions on how to connect to the test socket. https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Please let us know how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Ashridge
Dabbler

Hi,

Done the suggested and no change, screenshot attached showing 146,566 dropped frames and the unstable upstream connection. Saturday 5th, 12 noon till about 6.30pm

Thanks.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Ashridge, I realise the timing of us picking your post again might be unfortunate but it might be best if we can make sure if possible that the device you stream from (if possible) is connected to the router over ethernet during the times you've mentioned and that we can arrange to test your line during those times too. Would that be possible to arrange with you for next weekend?

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Ashridge
Dabbler

Hi,

I used an ethernet and the connection was much improved but still showed some signs of instability although no frames were dropped this time.

The only difference between my old provider and PlusNet is PPPoA and PPPoE so next broadcast I'll switch my connection back to PPPoA and use wireless to see if PPPoE is causing the issue.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@Ashridge,

Is this just Twitch you're having problems with? Any other services affected? 

Is the speed of your connection performing as expected? 

Ashridge
Dabbler

Hiya,

I only stream to Twitch, never had any issues with my previous provider. The connection speed is the full 80/20, previous provider was 75/20

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Ashridge,

I have added a static IP on your account to see if it makes a difference. Please reboot the router to activate the fixed IP address. We will leave this on for a week as a trial. I need to make you aware that if this does fix the issue, there would be a one off charge for £5.00 if you would like to have the Static IP to permanently be activated on your account.

If it does not make a difference then on a wired connection (ideally with no other devices/applications heavily using the connection) we'd advise running trace route to the address pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com This address unlike a lot of others accepts these pings with no traffic management which may interfere.

Open the windows commend prompt by either pressing windows key + R or going to start > run and typing cmd and pressing enter/OK. If windows 10 then simply pressing start and typing cmd should bring up the command prompt app you can open.

Once the command prompt is open you can run a trace route by typing 'tracert pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com' and then pressing enter. This will begin a series of hops between your network, ours, our suppliers and then finally onto the destination we are trace routing to and all the times in ms between each hop. Feel free to provide us a photo/print screen of your results.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Ashridge
Dabbler

Been streaming all weekend and didn't drop a frame, looks like I owe you a fiver (and a couple of beers) 🙂

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Ashridge,

It's great to hear that everything has been working since the static IP was added, we'll keep this on your account moving forwards. Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if you experience any further connection problems or if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Menace65
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@Ashridge 

Out of Curiosity, what's your Twitch channel, I watch a few, mostly gaming, and one 'body painting' chan [she has a potty mouth, which makes me laugh]

All the best

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@Ashridge Hey. We're interested in getting to the bottom of this problem as a static IP shouldn't ideally be a permanent solution. We've carried out some work, would you be happy for us to remove the static IP? Happy to re-add it back on free of charge at the first sign of trouble unless you'd want to help us out with this further.

As an incentive, we won't ask you for those beers. (Probably worth noting that I'm joking, we'd never do that) 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Ashridge
Dabbler

Hiya,

Agreed, static IP shouldn't really be the long term solution.

It certainly would be interesting to get to the bottom of this, please go ahead and remove the static and we'll see how it goes this weekend.

Thanks.