cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux mint 18 cinnaman wireless problems

Roodedoo

Linux mint 18 cinnaman wireless problems

I have the above OS and can see the router (wireless) but when I try to connect after punching in the code everything just disappears.  I phoned the help line and they said maybe I needed a driver. I've never had this problem before and the other people in my house can connect without difficulty. I can connect with the cable no problems.

Many thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Linux mint 18 cinnaman wireless problems

Strange, if it is seeing the network then it should connect.
When you say everything disappears what do you mean? Does the network icon disappear from the task bar?
Try opening the network manager from a terminal (Mint menu/LHS the black box halfway down)
enter the following
nm-connection-manager

Then press enter.
Follow the same routine to add the network. If it crashes post the result (what is displayed in the terminal, use the mouse to select the text then right click and choose copy) that will give us a bit more info hopefully.
Roodedoo

It came up with command not found. When I say it all disappears the box which I enter the router password disappears after clicking OK and then the signal also goes. I have to turn the wireless off and on again to see the router. I have a temporary fix where I have used my smart-phone to connect then tethered off that.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Would you have a PN supplied Technicolour TG582 router?

There were issues with certain wifi devices crashing the Technicolour router.

The work around was to change the WiFi interface type in the router settings from 802.11 N to 802.11 G

https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Broadband-Technicolor-TG-582-Wireless-Setup-Guide

Roodedoo

Thank you for the link, it takes me to the admin page of my hub which is different to the Technicolour TG582 one.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi, I have not seen any reports of Plusnet Hub ones crashing due to the computer client but there have been issues with Google chromecast devices crashing the hub one and others reporting that the hub one 5 GHz WiFi signal locking up.

Could you change the SSID of the 5 GHz WiFi so it is not identical to the 2. 4 GHZ wifi?

Then try and connect to the 2.4 GHZ wifi only.

EDIT there is a setup guide here ->

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/#article-content