cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linksys WAP300N setup

bobw1943
Grafter

Linksys WAP300N setup

I have bought a Linksys WAP 300N off ebay in the hope of solving a wi-fi problem in my son's house, which has very thick stone walls. I want to improve the wi-fi strength in one particular room. My plan is to connect the WAP300N in the problem room using powerline connectors since for various domestic reasons it is not practical to connect it to the router by a LAN cable. Put simply I plan to connect the router to a powerline point in Room A, and the WAP300N to another in Room B where the signal is weak.
According to the user manual online the WAP300N can be configured in several ways, Access Point Mode, Wireless Media Connector mode, Wireless Range Extender mode or Wireless Bridge mode. Can anyone tell me which of these is appropriate for the job, and I would be grateful for advice from anyone who has done anything similar.

My son has the standard Plusnet Sagemcom router.

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Linksys WAP300N setup

You need to use Access Point mode.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

You want to use it as a Wirelwss Access Point so use the Access Point option.  Full manuals are available on the Linksys website.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobw1943
Grafter

Thanks for your response.

I am looking at the Linksys PDF manual and it refers to a setup CD which I do not have. It says I can login to the WAP300N using the IP address 10.100.1.1 if I am connected directly by LAN cable. Will the router assign a different IP address when I connect it to the network using the powerlines? Do I need to set a static IP? If so do how do I decide on one?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

First let me confess to never using one of these devices. I would start with just plugging it in to yout network as it might be set to do what you want by default.

However from what I read, if you simply connect the device to your router via your powerline units (or just an Ethernet cable) the DHCP in your router will assign a dynamic IP address to the WAP. If you then want to change the settings you need to find the assigned IP address by logging into into your router and finding which IP address has been assigned. You then enter that into a web browser.

Alternatively you can get into the settings by connecting the WAP directly to the Ethernet port of a computer and entering the default IP address 10.100.1.1 into a web browser. If this does not connect it could be because the computer is not releasing the router IP address. If this happens you need to open a command prompt as an administrator (i'm assuming a Windows operating system now) and first try pinging it. (ping 10.100.1.1). If you get a response along the lines that it is not reachable then you need to release the IP Address. In the cmd panel type:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

You might find that you need to go back and repeat this when you reconnect to your network.

As I said at the start, I have never used one of these so I could be wrong.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobw1943
Grafter

Thanks for your help.

I hope it does what I want by default. I will reset it before trying anything by the reset button.

It will be a day or two before i get the chance to try it but I will report back; I hope with good news.