cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line stats for Plusnet Hub One?

delta777
Grafter

Line stats for Plusnet Hub One?

Is there any way to get line stats for the Plusnet Hub One?

(Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.217.1.1)

Unlimited fibre was activated on 19th May but with what seems a slow connection speed:

The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 20.05 Mbps
The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 2 Mbps

I was expecting download speed to be 27 - 38 Mbps based on the initial assessment.

Does DLM come into effect which may improve my download speed? It seems to me that my download speed has been capped to a low level. Disconnecting or rebooting the router hasn't improved the poor download speed. I've contacted plusnet support but have not yet had a response. I can't comprehend why line stats are not available from the Pusnet Hub One router as I have always had such information from various routers used with my previous ISP - Sky. I was with Sky for 10 years on ADSL2+ with a download speed of 11Mbps (synced at about 12.5Mbps). I never had to contact Sky support as they provided good servce with no problems whatsover. Given the 11Mbps download on ADSL2+ suggests I should be getting far in excess of the 20Mbps that I am getting on fibre from Plusnet.

15 REPLIES 15
etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Line stats for Plusnet Hub One?

You can get stats from the hub one if you visit http://192.168.1.254 then click troubleshooting and then help desk.

You'll see what speed you are connected at there. Fibre is connected at the fastest speed from day one, then DLM will make changes should it need to.

Have a look at that page, remove obvious things like username/wifi name and post back with them.
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
gofaster
Rising Star

Stats are available. Troubleshooting then Helpdesk - you will need the hub password.

Your ADSL speed has no bearing on your FTTC speed. Some customers have even reported that their ADSL speed was *faster* than FTTC

etdsaunders
Pro

What does current line speed say https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
delta777
Grafter

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number:
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.217.1.1 Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 1 days, 14:04:31
6. Data rate: 2001 / 20712
7. Maximum data rate: 3933 / 21043
8. Noise margin: 11.9 / 6.4
9. Line attenuation: 37.2 / 28.7
10. Signal attenuation: 37.0 / 24.6
11. Data sent/received: 202.6 MB / 4.0 GB
12. Broadband username:
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 300 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: 4
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall: Default
22. MAC Address:
23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
24. Software variant: AA
25. Boot loader: 1.0.0

Thanks for the info but I'm suprised that the details are hidden away and not more obviously found within the router pages.

Looks like the noise margin of 6.4 is about right. It is dissapointing that the initial check before ordering fibre stated that I should get 27 - 38 Mbps and only after getting activated with an 18 month contract do I find that the actual speed obtained is very much less. I've determined that the BT cabinet that my line is connected to is about 530 meteres away in a straight line. However there is are two adjacent cabinets just 130 metres away which are possibly not fibre enabled or maybe are not even BT cabinets but Virgin Media. I know that houses at the top end of my street are served by a different cabinet which is not fibre enable, perhaps one of the cabinets I just mentioned. If i had know that my download speed would be just 20Mbps from Plusnet, and presumably also from any other ISP such as Sky, EE etc then I would not have taken up the offer to swtch to fibre from Plusnet, instead Virgin Media would have been a better option. Right outside my house there is a green cabinet which I presume is for Virgin Media. On the bright side, the additional monthly cost for fibre and line rental from Plusnet over the duration of the 18 month contract averages out to an increase of less that £2 per month compared to what I was paying to Sky.

Current line speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

reports:

Phone exchange:LEIGHTON BUZZARD

Estimated line speed:39Mb (This may vary between 27.4Mb and 39.3Mb) - Checked on 2016-05-01 21:46:58

Current line speed:21 Mb

etdsaunders
Pro

Looking at them stats it seems the line is longer than you suggest. Could you pop telephone number into https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm and it'll tell you which cabinet you are connected too.

You may have to walk about and find the cabinet, It's been known that cabinets could be on another street but serving you. It's worth having a look about and finding the cabinet which is serving you.

If it is indeed near you, I'd suggest raising a fault with plusnet as you are experiencing lower speeds.

That link will also give you expected speeds, could you report back with these both clean and impacted.

Thanks
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
delta777
Grafter

My phone line is connected to cabinet 19 which is outside 120 Vandyke Road, Leighton Buzzard. The straightline distance to my house is about 530 metres but the cabling distance could easily be 1.5 - 2 times that distance. I presume that my previous ADSL2+ broadband with Sky (just last week) was from the same cabinet. Download/throughput speed was about 11Mbps with SNR/noise margin of about 5 as reported from my old router.

etdsaunders
Pro

It's quite possibly you are on a impacted line, so the speeds would be acceptable.

ADSL line length would be a lot longer in most cases as it's copper all the way to the exchange.
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What are the internal telephone wiring and sockets like? As in, what type of master socket, how many other sockets are there, and what type of filter (centralised faceplate or plug-in dangling type)?

FTTC speeds can be affected by poor internal wiring far more severely than the ADSL was.

delta777
Grafter

The master socket is type NTE5, there are no other phone sockets, there is no extension cable attached to the socket. All that is plugged into the socket is the microfilter and into that is connected the phone line and Plusnet Hub. Connecting the microfilter directly to the master socket behind the faceplate and without the phone connected makes no difference to line stats or connection speed. Also tried a different microfilter but no change.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'd expect to see a little more from your line based on the estimate range of 27.4 - 39.3

You've reported a fault, that's good so our faults team will do some testing and see what's happening there as you're currently syncing at just under 20Mb/s now

Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 19.8 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
delta777
Grafter

A BT Openreach engineer visited my house yesterday and found no faults on my line and that my line is not impacted in any way. He stated that the 20Mbps snyc speed that I am getting is about right as I am on a '40Meg circuit' and the line length to the cabinet is about 1.1Km according to his test equipment and that there is a reduction in speed by a factor of 0.5 per kilometre. The straight line distance to the cabinet is about 530 metres.

According to the BT availability broadband checker the estimate for the lowest speed on a clean line (which I have) is 27.Mbps.The actual snyc speed is about 20Mbps giving a download speed of about 19Mbps. Thats a poor improvement compared with the download speed of 11Mbps that I used to get with Sky ADSL.

It appears to me that BT Wholesale are providing misleading information with exagerated estimates of connection speeds leading to mis-selling of fibre broadband. Although my 18 month contract is with Plusnet I would not have got a better connection speed with any other broadband ISP so I lay the blame with BT Wholesale.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am afraid that the BT Engineer was talking rubbish

I am on a '40Meg circuit' and the line length to the cabinet is about 1.1Km according to his test equipment and that there is a reduction in speed by a factor of 0.5 per kilometre. The straight line distance to the cabinet is about 530 metres.

There is no such thing as a factor of 0.5 per kilometre the speed you can get is distance related as indicated in this graph

FTTC-speed-distance-graph

delta777
Grafter

I expect the engineer does know what he is talking about and was probaby just using a rule of thumb based on his experience.

Its been confirmed by Plusnet support that I won't get any improvement on the connection speed. I understand that the speeds stated by BT in broadband availability checker are estimates but the actual speed delivered to a customer should be reasonably close to the minimum estimated speed, there should not be a massive difference, in my case I get 20Mbps sync compared with the minumum estimate of 27Mbps. As an ex radar engineer the obvious solution to me is that the power of the signal transmitted down the wire from the cabinet should be increased to enable my router to snyc at least somehere close to the minimum speed originaly stated by BT. Maybe I'm incorrect but I suspect that a customer who on 'up to 76Mbps' fibre will actually be getting a higher power signal from the cabinet in order to achieve a higher snyc speed.

As Plusnet are not delivering the service that I am paying for it should be possible to end the 18 month contract early without penalty. Taking that option would likely be awkard as I have already paid 12 months line rental in advance to take advantage of a price reduction. Even though I'm not happy with connection speed I think its easier to stay with Plusnet until the contract ends and then see what offers there are with Virgin Media as my street is wired up by them.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The maximum allowed signal power that can be transmitted is set by the Access Network Frequency Plan, it wouldn't be possible or permitted to boost the power for a particular line.

It is possible that a very long line will have less power transmitted down it in total, but only because when it connects, the line is analysed to determine what speed can be attained, and then if high frequencies are found to be completely unusable due to the line length, then there won't be much/any signal transmitted on those frequencies. There wouldn't be any useful purpose transmitting at maximum power on frequencies at which, due to the line length, still wouldn't reach your modem anyway.