cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speeds extremely low.

chloebull

Line speeds extremely low.

We upgraded from adsl too fibre broadband and took out the 80mb dl / 20mb ul package which was installed 12/03/2015. We were told that it could take up too 10 days for our line too stabilize, so over the last two weeks I have been running speed tests multiple times a day everyday. So far the highest peak download we have seen has been 15mb and upload has been 17mb. The download and upload speeds have gotten worse and for the last few days have been lower than our old adsl package!
Date                       Download Speed                       Upload Speed
Today 14:49               1986 kbps (248kB/s)               813 kbps (102kB/s)
This was todays using plusnet speed checker.
Can anyone explain how upgrading too a faster package has given me a slower overall speed?Huh
5 REPLIES 5
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Line speeds extremely low.

Hi chloebull,
Sorry to hear of the problems.
Are you ok to let me know what speeds you are getting through a wired connection on this site?
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
chloebull

Ok, So did what you suggested and my download spead was 37.15mb upload 15.5mb
I'm not a computer wizz but why is the wireless so slow? We haven't change anything but the router and are using a 100mbs wireless card, seems odd too be getting such slow speeds over wireless with full signal strength.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

It could actually be the Plusnet speed checker producing funny results, which has often been discussed here.
There are a whole bunch of variables to take into effect when looking at wireless signal strength. My first suggestion would typically be changing the wireless channel.
What speeds do you get on the second checker wirelessly?
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
chloebull

Running on wireless I get 2.18mb dl and 0.96 upload, Is there a guide somewhere to help me change channels?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Your best bet it to take a look at Matty's link. In it, you can find details about the channels which may help. Of course, if the router is a long way from the device you are using this could be the best you'll get (but this seems unlikely).
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team