cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed unchanged after upgrading from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra

gouttegd
Hooked

Line speed unchanged after upgrading from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra

Hi,

Back in February this year, I upgraded my “Unlimited Fibre” broadband service (with ~33 Mbs download speed) to the ”Unlimited Fibre Extra” service, which was supposed to double my download speed.

Since then, my download and upload speeds are remained the same as they were prior to the upgrade. Even though the “Your broadband service” page on the plus.net website confirms that my service has a Minimum Guaranteed Speed of ~66 Mbps, the *current* line speed is still at ~33 Mbps max (see attached figure). That ~33 Mbps max speed is confirmed by the web interface of the PlusNet Hub Manager, and also confirmed by a BT speedtest.

What shall I do to get the download/upload speeds I was guaranteed when upgrading to the “Unlimited Fibre Extra” service?

6 REPLIES 6
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Re: Line speed unchanged after upgrading from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra

From what your stats show you’ve been upgraded to fibre extra because it’s not possible to get more than 10mbps upload speed on basic fibre. 

Try plugging your router into the test socket https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242 and check your stats again. If the speeds are unchanged/below where they should be I’d raise a fault at faults.plus.net so an engineer visit can be arranged to investigate further.

gouttegd
Hooked

Re: Line speed unchanged after upgrading from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra

No difference with the router connected to the test socket. The BT speedtest reports roughly the same values (download 30.65 Mbps, upload 10.92 Mbps).

Interestingly, the “advanced report” says that “for your connection, the maximum achievable download speed is 33.83 Mbps” and “IP Profile for your line is 33.83 Mbps”. Does that mean that my line is no matter what incapable of achieving the guaranteed minimum speed of 66 Mbps?

When I chose to upgrade to Unlimited Fibre Extra, I was assured that my line *was* eligible to such speed…

Mav
Fixes: 515

@gouttegd 

What results do you get for VDSL if you enter your telephone number into the BT DSL Checker?

If posting a screen shot please remember to redact your telephone number.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

gouttegd
Hooked

Please see the attached screenshot.

I won’t claim I understand everything of those results, but what Plus.net calls “Unlimited Fibre Extra” is really VDSL, isn’t it? In which case it seems to me that the line *is* capable of reaching the minimum guaranteed download speed of 66 Mbps…

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Your IP profile is 33mbps because your router is getting a sync speed of 34mbps, that’d need be addressed first and the profile will automatically update once it is. 

Have you raised a fault as per the above link?

gouttegd
Hooked

@Thrall wrote:

Have you raised a fault as per the above link?

I have now. I couldn’t yesterday as faults.plus.net was seemingly out-of-order for maintenance.