cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed ticket

jwsg
Rising Star

Line speed ticket

Having seen my sync go from 60+ in the first year of FTTC, to 50+ in the 2nd, 46+ last year, to 43 now, and having just taken a new contract with guaranteed 48 on predicted range 53-74, I've raised a query through the troubleshooter with ticket 188314277

As no response has been added yet could you add any test results while I'm waiting (GEA?) 

15 REPLIES 15
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Line speed ticket

Hi @jwsg

I've just tested your line and you're in sync at 43mb/s so something is definitely amiss here.

Could you get your router into the test socket as shown here and then test the speed again via a wired connection? If the speed doesn't improve, leave the router in the test socket and our faults team will progress the fault you've already raised.

Best wishes

Dave

jwsg
Rising Star

Thank you for your reply

As requested Ive removed faceplate, attached hub1 via filter to test socket

The sync remains at Data rate: 16001 / 43600

BT test performed (35 down 12 up)

The master socket is a MK4 dual socket so I will refit it to restore home phone wiring pending your next comms

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing slower than expected speeds, and thanks for trying the test socket.

Our tests are showing your line to be banded at max of 44mbps. As we're not finding any causes for this, I've arranged for your line to be reset remotely. I'd allow 2-3 working days for this to go through and to see an improvement.

If you don't see a change or your speeds are banded again in the near future, then we'd likely need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate this further as there could be an underlying problem.

I've also added a reply to your open fault ticket which you can view here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=188314277 as well as attaching a copy of your GEA test results to this post below:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 42.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed 15.6 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 630.4
Upstream Rate Assessment Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-44M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-03-02T08:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 42.4 Mbps 43.6 Mbps 42.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 15.5 Mbps 16.0 Mbps 15.7 Mbps
Up Time 849.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.8 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-03-15T07:47:46Z 2019-03-15T08:02:46Z
Ingress Code Violation 9 7
Egress Code Violation 0 1
Errored Seconds 0 1
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jwsg
Rising Star

My circuit re-synched today, but the results are quite worrying

Down Rate=36370Kbps, Up Rate=16203Kbps; 

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @jwsg, thanks for getting back to us.

Having discussed your account with @Gandalf, I can confirm that there has been a delay in DLM resets going through. We'd expect it to complete over the course of today/tonight and you should notice an improvement over the course of tomorrow.

Please let us know if you either don't see a difference or if there's anything else at all you need in the meantime.

jwsg
Rising Star

The line re-synched early yesterday but shows no change since I raised the ticket last week

Down Rate=42603Kbps, Up Rate=15485Kbps; 

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @jwsg

Thanks for the update - we'll need to progress to an engineer for you.

I've added some guidance on the timeslots for an engineer to your open fault ticket here.

If you let us know when you've updated the ticket we'll get that booked in for you.

Best wishes

Dave

jwsg
Rising Star

Ticket updated

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @jwsg 

I've booked your appointment and update the ticket with the time and date. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

jwsg
Rising Star

I am sorry to report that the BT engineer stated on arrival that he believed the minimum speed to be 36. As he tested the line OK above that figure there was no further investigation/action.

So I completely wasted my time in being available for the appointment, and your sign-up email clearly states "We estimate your broadband speed should be between 53Mbps and 74 Mbps and your minimum guaranteed access line speed is 48 Mbps. "

A very disappointing outcome.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

HI @jwsg

I've spoken to our suppliers to get some clarification and further info. They have confirmed that the line length on your Circuit is 1990 meters, due to this it's very likely that you will not achieve the full speed the line is estimated to achieve. 

This is mentioned in the same ticket as the Minimum speed is given;

"These figures are based on data provided by our supplier. Your actual speed may vary and there are a number of things that may affect your broadband speed such as the distance you are from the exchange, phone wiring to and in your home, how busy the Internet and our network are and if you're using multiple devices at the same time." 

The person I spoke to at our suppliers end stated that the engineer is still doing some work/tests (most likely external if he has left you) and has asked us to check for an update tomorrow for full notes on the visit. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

jwsg
Rising Star

Thank you but it makes no sense for the line length to now be 1990m

The road distance is 350m and the measured length in your own recent tests is around 600m. 

The line has support 60+, then 50+ then 46+ last year.

On leaving the engineer did suggest he would be doing something at the cabinet end but I cant confirm what this is/was (there have been so re-syncs since he left)

I took time to be available for an appointment which was brief and pointless.

I am sorry to see that you are not standing by your minimum speed of 48 - I am very disappointed overall.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm afraid there may be some confusion here. I believe my colleague's response above refers to the actual length of the line from the exchange to the property. The estimated line length on our tests actually shows the estimated distance from the cabinet to the property.

In terms of going forward, we can look at arranging another visit to confirm the exact length and speeds possible just to make sure everything has been done.

If it isn't possible for us to increase the speeds further then you would be free to end your contract without charge however if it's due to the line you'll likely have the same speeds regardless of who you go to.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jwsg
Rising Star

Many thanks for the clarification

I realised after posting that 2km must be the distance to the exchange and not related to FTTC.

I dont really want to change supplier as I rate the support here highly as a rule. I had genuinely hoped 48M was achievable - it has been before - on a 600m line. However if the suppler just quotes a low minimum speeds regardless of the value on http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/  it wont be easy to make progress.