cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed slower than expected

jet247

Line speed slower than expected

Current line speeds are slower than expecting. I'm expecting 80/20 but currently getting approx 49/9. Current line speed is showing @ 53Mb in plusnet account portal. Can this be looked into please and upped to expected speeds? 

Many thanks 

6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Line speed slower than expected

Hi there, 

53mbps is just below the line stream estimate for your line. 

You can see what your estimates are here: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Were you connecting over WiFi when you saw those speeds? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jet247

Hi 

I was plugged straight into the Plusnet router. How does one get better line stream speed?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Have you checked to make sure that nothing within your property is slowing your line? To do this you take off the front section of your BT Master socket (you may need to remove two screws). The front should pull straight off and reveal the Test Socket. Using a microfilter connect the router directly to the test socket, leave the phone disconnected and run your speed test again.

If the result of this test is better than the minimum level at which Openreach will accept that there is a fault then you may be stuck with it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

From what I can see your speeds are above the minimum estimate for your line (Below the maximum estimate).

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 59.5 40 14.2 9.1

Whilst we can't raise a fault with our suppliers as your speeds are within expectations, I'd recommend trying the test socket as advised by @Baldrick1 as this will make sure your internal wiring isn't affecting your speeds/connection.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jet247

I am plugged into the master socket. Well what first started life as a slave socket but turned in to a master socket by a BT Openreach engineer. I live in a new build so I suspect there is some internal wiring problem after all they didn't give me a phone socket in the living room or master bedroom as advertised. Is it still £160 for a new socket to be fitted by BT Openreach? Arrange via Plusnet? Ideally I'd get a new one in my living room. I think I'll word with my house builder to come up with some sort of compensation to pay for it otherwise they are tearing down walls to fix existing cabling. 

Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

If you've tried the test socket this should rule out all internal wiring.

However if you do want your master socket moving we'll be happy to arrange that but I'm afraid the fee is still £160 and there's no guarantee the engineer will renew the socket, it's an Internal Shift order where they'd move the existing one.

With that said on occasion I've known engineers to provide an updated socket when they're out on the job.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet