Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed reduced over recent weeks/months

OhWell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Line speed reduced over recent weeks/months

Hi,

I've been monitoring my line speed periodically, and have noticed the speed of from around 50mbps when first set up, to around 40mbps in recent weeks/months.

Is this something worth investigating, or will I likely just be fobbed off by PN?

Cheers 

IMG_20211106_082723.jpgIMG_20211106_082550.jpg

14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Line speed reduced over recent weeks/months

@OhWell 

You have missed giving us a vital bit of information. Is this is over a wired or wireless link? If wireless then what’s it like over an Ethernet link?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

OhWell
Rising Star

The speed test is built into my router's admin page, so presumably the WiFi link is irrelevant as it would be from the router, not my wifi device?

Even so, most of these tests would have been done in close proximity to the router (like less than 5 meters away)
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Hi @OhWell 

What do get if you use the BT performance test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

And the broadband checker: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Dave

OhWell
Rising Star

IMG_20211106_174408.jpgIMG_20211106_174341.jpgIMG_20211106_174233.jpg

daveplus
Pro

Looks like a fault that you should phone support about. 0800 432 0200. They close at 7pm

D

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@OhWell 

Which service are you on, 40/10, 80/20 or the now discontinued 55/10? I ask because possibly the problem is that you have renewed your contract and/or there's been a glitch and you've neen moved from 55/10 to 40/10.

Speed tests over wireless are meaningless when looking at network problems, regardless of how close you are to the hub.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

OhWell
Rising Star

Not sure tbh. Couldn't see anything in my account when I logged in, apart from the below estimated speeds.

I have my suspicions it could be linked to some work I saw being done at some street cabinets/junction boxes near me some weeks ago, but who knows.

IMG_20211107_104711.jpg

OhWell
Rising Star

If I do call this in as an issue with PN, are they likely to want me to plug in my PN router so they can remote interrogate it or something?

I've currently been using my own router for a year now.
daveplus
Pro

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hey @ OhWell

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm really sorry to see that you're been having problems with your service lately. I've just popped into the account and can see that an engineer visit has now been arranged. Feel free to reach out on here if you're having any further issues after the engineer visit.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
OhWell
Rising Star

Just had the BT Openreach engineer.  He tested the line with his meter in the master socket, which he said was around 51 I think.  He also replaced some of the crimp links in the wiring outside the house that looked a bit corroded, but this did not seem to have an effect on the line speed. I don't think he saw any other faults on the line.

I'm still only seeing a consistent speed of about 35mbps however.

I wonder if the issue is to do with the speed profile mentioned by Baldrick1 previously.  Could someone for the PN team please check my account to make sure I'm on the 80/20 profile, and not been shifted to the 40/10 profile which might be why my speeds are limited.

Thanks.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @OhWell, thanks for getting back to us and I'm sorry to hear the engineer couldn't get to the bottom of the speed issue during the visit. His readings of getting 51Mbps download to his device however does bring to light there could be something out of place our side. Looking over your account further I can see that the speed profile set for your account looks to be around the 38Mbps mark which explains the 35Mbps seen your side. In which case, I've bumped this up to 55Mbps or where we'd expect to see it and if you turn your router off and back on your side you should see the normal speeds coming back through again.
Please let us know how this goes and if this resolved the speed issues you were seeing.

OhWell
Rising Star

Hi Ben,

Looks like the change you did to the speed profile has worked, as I've just done a speed check which is now coming back at 49/14.

One question I have is should the speed profile not be set to 80mbps in-line with the 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra package, or is this changed to be closer to the actual measure line integrity check speed?

Thanks.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @OhWell, thanks for getting back to us. I am pleased to hear you have seen an improvement after the changes made by Ben.

The speed profile on the account is set to be in line with the sync that is being achieved, but can see this is set above your sync anyway so is no longer causing any restrictions. I have just tested your line and we are seeing a sync of 54.2mb down and 15.4mb up.

I would advise to monitor things over the next couple of days, letting us know how things go! Please also let us know if you have any further queries in the meantime.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team