Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed query

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Line speed query

Just for curiosity really. I am moving from Sky, where I enjoy 40mb download speeds. Using the same BT infrastructure until the exchange, I am wondering why the +Net offering is only 38mb? The email from +Net with my estimated download speed says
Your estimated broadband speed is 40 Mbps

Just trying to get my head around it.
Mark
4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Line speed query

Hi Mark,
There's two reasons for this.
Firstly, regulatory changes came into place in 2012 to make sure advertised "up to" speeds onsistently available to at least 10% of the users of that service. This is why you'll now see ISPs advertising fibre services as either "up to 38mb" or "up to 76mb for example.
Secondly, we sell two speeds of fibre for our different packages. Unlimited fibre is offered as up to 38mb which is what you have, unlimited extra is up to 76mb.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Thanks for the reply Adam.  I am currently synced with Sky at 40000 and they still sell theirs at 40mb. My speed estimate is 40mb on a 38 mb connection, or does it mean that theoretically I could still get 40mb?. Something is just not computing with me Smiley
WWWombat
Grafter

It might well be that BT estimates the best speed you can achieve is actually 40Mbps; if true, then even if you went for an "up to 76Mbps" package (which means the sync could be 80,000), they believe you will still only get 40Mbps or so.
If you currently sync at 40,000 with Sky, and went for a Plusnet "up to 38Mbps" package, then you are likely to still sync at 40,000. That is the cap that would be put in place for the "up to 38Mbps" package.
(If you ask me, the ASA ruling makes things *less* clear, not more clear).
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Thanks for that. I understood the previous "up to" advertising, it all seems to be pandering now. Will be interested to see what happens (although the bi changeover happens while I am away)
Mark