Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed jump but slow speed test

FIXED
dannyboy75
Rising Star

Line speed jump but slow speed test

I'm on Fibre Extra, and my line speed (in my Plusnet portal) has always hovered around 52-53 Mbps. DL/UL speeds are usually approx. 50/9 Mbps.

I usually check my PN line speed a couple of times each week, and noticed this morning that it's jumped to 69.2 Mbps. On the face of it this sounds great, however when I ran a few speed tests just now (including BTW) I could only get around 30 down, although upload has increased to 14.

Could this perhaps be that the 3dB target SNR thing has been enabled on my cabinet? Whilst the upload increase is good news, I don't want to pay for Fibre Extra if I can only download at 30 Mbps!

These tests were over ethernet, although through powerline adapters. However, I've never had problems with these throttling my internet speed in the past.

7 REPLIES 7
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Line speed jump but slow speed test

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

I've tested your line and that's not throwing up any issues.

Is it possible for you to bypass the powerline adapters and connect directly to the router?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
dannyboy75
Rising Star

Hi Matthew

Thanks for the reply. Yes I can try that but won't be able to do it until I get home tonight, will update the thread then.

Any ideas why my line speed would suddenly have jumped by 17Mbps though?

thanks

Dan

dannyboy75
Rising Star

Prior to sometime in the last 48 hours, my PN line speed had always been 52-53Mb.

Capture.JPG

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I'm not sure why that's happened as checking your line it's never been close to syncing at that speed

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
dannyboy75
Rising Star

These are the stats from my unlocked HG612 - the sync rate here looks more realistic, although still doesn't explain the strange figure in my PN profile. I'll check actual speeds again tonight anyway, minus homeplugs.

Retrain Reason: 1
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 10304 Kbps, Downstream rate = 54464 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 10304 Kbps, Downstream rate = 58010 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2782)
DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3959)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2776)
DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3959)
                  VDSL Port Details               Upstream                Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:           10304 kbps              54464 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:             7.5 dBm               13.7 dBm
================================================================================      

EDIT:  It does look like I've been switched to the 3dB target SNR margin in the last day or so, according to dslstats:

Capture2.JPG

dannyboy75
Rising Star

This was down to homeplugs after all. It's strange, as I've never noticed a problem with speeds in that room before, but my speeds are fine when going straight into the router.

Time to buy a reel of Cat6 and get the drill out Smiley

Edit: @MatthewWheeler It's still odd that my PN line speed has jumped to 69Mbps following the 3dB SNR change. Could I potentially gain any additional speed following the recent reprofiling, or is 50Mbps still the best I can hope for?

thanks

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Fix

Hi @dannyboy75,

I'm glad to hear you've found the cause of the issues that you're experiencing. I've taken a look into your account and your line is able to achieve up to 55Mbps download speeds so you could notice an improvement to your speeds over time although it is important to note that you won't always be able to achieve the very top of your estimated speed range. If you experience any further issues, please let us know and we'll be happy to investigate further.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team