cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed dropped from 74 to 63.4 Mbps

simesa

Line speed dropped from 74 to 63.4 Mbps

My connection has dropped by just over 10 Mbps.Speed test (via iPhone on 5Ghz wifi) in January gave me 74.63 down / 15.08 up. This week it's testing at 60 down / 13 up. When downloading on my MacBook it's routinely hit 71-73ish on my Bandwidth+ toolbar but now similar downloads are only maxing at 60.

On Monday I was watching the BBC UHD trial (which needs around 40 Mbps to stream) and after an hour at various points onwards my internet connection died and sometimes took 20-30 mins to return - initially my router said it couldn't get an IP address, then later connected but no data came through.

Why's my IP Profile on the BT Wholesale site now showing as 63 Mbps when I've had Plusnet for 3-4 years and it's always been nearer 74 and always stable? Nothing has changed with the wiring around my house. Does the BT Profile change dynamically on their website and could the multiple re-starts on Monday have messed something up?

I've noticed on the Plusnet account management page since Tuesday I've been able to see my data usage for the first time in a couple of years - a co-incidence?

This evening I have installed a new modem/router (TPLink Archer VR900) which I'd ordered last week, before that I had the Openreach Modem and another wifi router (which was when I had the fails on Monday) - but this was purely for better coverage around the house.

Router stats:

Upstream Downstream Current Rate(kbps)

15176 65687

Max Rate(kbps) 15492 67338

SNR Margin(dB) 6.2 6.4

Line Attenuation(dB) 23.2 11.3

Errors(pkts) 9 49

BTW test:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed   60.7 Mbps     0 Mbps 63.58 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 60.7 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-63.58 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 63.58 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed   13.3 Mbps     0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 13.3Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Thanks Simon

1 REPLY
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 205

Re: Line speed dropped from 74 to 63.4 Mbps

Sorry to hear your speeds have dropped.

Unfortunately our tests aren't showing any cause for this and as your current speeds are within their estimates I'm afraid there's nothing further we can do

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team