cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed being capped at 20Mbps??

tudou
Grafter

Line speed being capped at 20Mbps??

My line speed is usually around 32 Mbps (and has been consistently in the past).
Recently it appears artificially capped at 19-20Mbps. BT wholesale line speed test confirms it should be around 32 Mbps, I've tried others routers but there is no change to the speed.
Can anyone help with this?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Line speed being capped at 20Mbps??

That's odd, there was another case of this happening yesterday - "my fibre is being wrongly capped at 21megs."
What is the exact result for the BT "IP profile" that "BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test" -> "[Further diagnostics]" shows ?
If you login to the Plusnet "Member Centre" using this link - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
what does it say there for the "Current line speed:" ?
tudou
Grafter

BT wholesale gives 32 but the plusnet line speed estimate says 21 Mbps (with a comment that the speed hasn't actually been tested yet??)
vstasinaki

I had the same problem a couple of days ago. Plusnet support ran a line test and something wasn't right, they sent a BT engineer and he instantly knew that a cable was disconnected. Outside the building someone had knocked one of our wires loose and we couldn't get above 19mbps.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Quote from: Nibiru
That's odd, there was another case of this happening yesterday - "my fibre is being wrongly capped at 21megs."

Another 'glitch' relating to being moved to the new network perhaps?
@tudou, either phone or use the chat to contact support and tell them your PN.  Current line speed is wrong.
They should be able to reset it immediately

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tudou
Grafter

They did reset it and it now gets up to 26 Mbps (still not as high as it has been in the past though). During the speed test it spends most of the test around 7Mbps and only gets up to 25 at the last second so I think something is still not right..
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: tudou
I think something is still not right..

So run through the faults troubleshooter in the Plusnet Member Centre, and see if the Plusnet faults team can help.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've tested your line and can't find any obvious issues, the line is in sync between the estimates for your line.
Downstream Speed 28.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps
Estimates: 32.3 to 22.4
What's general performance like? Do other speedtests do the same or are they more stable?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.