Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed......again

dickelliott
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Line speed......again

Hi everyone, can anyone PLEASE help with this.

2 months ago my plusnet line speed was 63Mbps. Been like that for ages.

Now though It's dropped again. Couple of days ago it was 61 now it's dropped to 59.4.

Bt speedtest shows max available 59.7Mbps. This also used to 63Mbps.

The only changes have been fitting the "wonderful" Hub1.

Ever since then nothing but trouble with downloads speeds ranging between 17Mbps up to 59. This morning top download speed was 47. Now it's back to 58.

Why are these speeds, plusnet line speed and BT sync speed changing nearly every day????

Any help much appreciated

Richard

11 REPLIES 11
jayengee
Hooked

Re: Line speed......again

I upgraded to Fibre Extra Unlimited on 12 August, and my speed remained the same. A fault was identified on the line and an Openreach Engineer fixed it - I was then getting 71.53 down and 16.65 up. Yesterday I lost the internet completely. When it restored it was back to the old Fibre speed of 39.54 up and 16.94 down. I raised a ticket last night and still no response over 12 hours later, but at least they know the fault is outside my property. Today the speed is still low so I reset my router, unplugged the modem and rebooted the modem, router and computers. The current speed is 35.84 down and 17.15 up. Getting increasingly annoyed, but manly with Openreach since it seems some of the cables from the exchange to the box are damaged.

Tags (2)
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

dickelliott wrote:

The only changes have been fitting the "wonderful" Hub1.

Does the modem/router you were using before changing to the Hub One still work? Could you perhaps go back to that unless there was some other reason for changing to the Hub One?

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
dickelliott
Grafter

Cannot really use my old router as it does not support IPTV and i took out plusnet tv at the same time as renewing my contract and changing my phone line to them. Beginning to wish i had not bothered with moving everything to plusnet.

Been with plusnet for 15 years. 4 years on fibre with no problems.........until now.......

SpendLessTime
Hero

@dickelliott

Okay, I was hoping that wasn't the case with the router as swapping back seemed too easy an answer Sad

dickelliott
Grafter

I just wish it was as easy as just replacing the hub 1 with my old router. I don't really want to spend out a small fortune on another router that supports IPTV though. By the way, this is the second hub 1 i have tried as PN thought the first one maybe duff.

SpendLessTime
Hero

Is there an open fault ticket on this? If not, as your speeds on an 80/20 line are currently below 40 Mbps then you need to start a new fault. At least it will get looked at by Plusnet. Surprise no staff member has posted here.

dickelliott
Grafter

Unable to raise a fault ticket on this because speeds are now between 43 and 56.

SpendLessTime
Hero

If it does go below 40 Mbps download then open a new fault and don't run anymore BTW Speed Tests, as the last test on the "Run Further Diagnostics"  remains on the system and Plusnet can check it.

It does seem to indicate a fault somewhere if the download speed tests vary so wildly from 17 to 61 Mbps.

Is the device running the tests connect by cable to the router?

Are the slow speeds based on peak times only?

dickelliott
Grafter

Slow speeds any time of day or night. Only connected by wifi as have no port for ethernet on my laptop. Laptop is within 10ft of router. No interference with anything else in house. already checked all that. No interference with neighbours wi fi as i;m the only one around here on the 5ghz band

ive run out of ideas and PN are not really interested because most speed tests are within BT limits

jayengee
Hooked

Just been on Plus Chat to Joan about my Question 131853913. She told me that she had reset my speed and I should just reboot my router and all would be well. She then closed my question.

Well it isn't sorted and my speed is now 34.12 Download and 17.12 Mbps Upload. It should be just under 80Mbps and I am hopping mad having been a Plusnet customer for 16 years. Will a support engineer please investigate the line again and get back to me. I'm convinced that the problem lies between the cabinet and the exchange.

Tags (2)
jayengee
Hooked

Same question 131984121 - same problem. I upgraded from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra on 12 August and nearly a month later it is still only giving me my old speed of 31.50 down 17.19 up or therabouts. I've had two engineer visits with a third threatened and they found nothing wrong. I got 71 mbps for one day only then got disconnected. Regular disconnections over the past few days, but none today (10 September) but the unimproved speeds are getting me down. I've measured speeds from an ADSL connected laptop direct into the router, but wireless speeds are very close. My gripe is partly that I don't know when this issue will be resolved but also that you never know when your question has actually been looked at by support staff as the status is always 'awaiting support staff update' or words to that effect.