cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed Versus IP Profile. Stuck profile?

Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Line speed Versus IP Profile. Stuck profile?

Hi all,
I'm not quite understanding the concept of this IP Profile business on fibre. Through the Plusnet's Connection page, it is showing my current line speed at 77.4 Mb but my IP Profile is set at 68.11 Mbps (through BT BRAS and BTW Performance Test).
I've been told before that the line speed details from the Plusnet Connection Settings panel won't change on my line as there was a provisioning error of two orders being made, this meant I had two lines in my house and then Plusnet had disconnected my main line and had blamed a DP problem (no correlation towards my disconnection). The line stats would be for the original order. When I reported a fault with this Line Speed before, they have said they have changed it to my main line - but it isn't changing at all.
I've waited months on end for DLM to increase my speed, no change. When I joined Plusnet back in August 2014, they simply removed a 40 meg cap on my line, it was estimated for 72mbps and I got around 77-80ish. Crosstalk is not to blame (FTTC Fault Test, was done a couple months back), the last engineer must have put me on a dodgy line card (I'm hearing reports of Software Upgrades / Line Card Upgrades on the forums due to different chipsets). BT Estimates my line at 76.2mbps last month, for some reason they decreased this to 70.2mbps this month (this estimate of 76 still remains for my neighbour - living in a flat, wouldn't think there are lines made at different times).
On Bands A and Bands B, the upstream rate is 20mbps on A and 19 mbps on B. I'm getting 14 mbps - below the impacted range.
So my questions are, what percentage of the Line Speed should be the IP Profile. Why do we not sync at full line speed? How do I resync a router, there is no disconnect/connect button my Linksys EA6400 Router's Admin GUI. And lastly, why are estimates different for each address.
I just want to maximise the speed I get  Cheesy - It was possible before to get sync speed set as IP Profile, why not now? I understand this isn't a line fault as it is still in range of acceptable speeds, the speed is still great for my needs of streaming etc.  Grin
6 REPLIES 6
Estragon
Rising Star

Re: Line speed Versus IP Profile. Stuck profile?

Looking at the User Guide for your router, it is not a modem router so I assume you have an Openreach modem. If so, is it an HG612 or and ECI something please? If it's an HG612 Version 3B there are things we can do to get more info about your line.
Re IP Profiles, the starting point is the sync speed. The IP Profile is calculated from that. The Plusnet Current line speed is calculated from the IP Profile and on fibre is normally 0.2Mbps below it. If they are showing you an irrelevant figure from a different line that isn't in use, that's a nuisance but not a disaster at this stage. I say "at this stage" because thee BT Speed Test result is fine for the IP Profile, so the real CLS isn't set low.
It is the modem that does the sync, not the router. It looks as though if there was a Disconnect/Connect button it would be on the Troubleshooting page, but it only mentions a Reboot button. But don't try that for this purpose!!! It won't affect the sync, as I pointed out before.
Unless the router gets itself in a mess, which can happen, rebooting it will simply disconnect you from Plusnet (but not from the cabinet), and then reconnect you to Plusnet. This can trigger a CLS recalculation if it is set wrongly, through Plusnet picking up the IP Profile again, but not always.
The screenshot you give for the BT Wholesale estimates still shows 66.3Mbps - 80Mbps. Where are the 76.2 and 70.2 coming from? The IP Profile suggests a sync speed of about 70.2Mbps.
Please can you post the BT Estimates given by inputting your phone number :). It may say the same as the address one, but may not, and the phone number one is the more definitive.
Riza
Rising Star

Quote from: Estragon
According to some moderator, quotes aren't allowed?  Huh

Unfortunately, I am connected to an Huawei Cabinet with an ECI Modem ( ECI B-FOCuS V-2FUb/R model ) supplied by first installer (three came, provisioning error of multiple orders - second one that came had the full equipment, toolbox unlike the first installer but he tested the line and told me it's been capped by Plusnet as they put me on the standard package instead of extra). I've tried a tool before to extract line stats, but it didn't work, recently Openwrt 15.05 (kitz forum) has been developed for the device (ECI Modem) but it requires a serial connection which I would have no knowledge on.
Like, I've said, I'm fine with the speed and that I'm only looking to maximize the potential of the line. My point is, Plusnet and BT have different IP Profiles.
My modem also is making a form of coil noise if I move any wiring around the modem, possibly the PSU of the modem, I'm starting to think I should be concerned that its the modem itself.
A quiet line test should be silent, the tests that I do are silent but once put on loudspeaker, the sound has electrical noises (this may be the wireless interference; it is quite congested with smart meters, all channels are used for wifi Angry )
I've always used the reboot button as there simply is no reconnect button the Admin Interface on my Linksys router unlike the supplied plusnet TG582N. This may be the cause of it not changing the IP Profile, how would I resync if reboots don't cause a re-sync. I guess I just have to wait DLM to do something to resync? Or rebooting the modem, which is what I have always done is not actually re-syncing? Would holding the reset button cause a re-sync on the eci?
What I current use to re-sync is:
Turn off both the router and modem and leave it for a minute and a half (it is recommended for 30 seconds, but just to be safe for dlm to not kick in)
Turn both back on
- I've also connected directly through the modem without the router through a ppoe connection with an ethernet cable to my laptop which gives the same speed.
The BT estimate is the same when placed on a phone number on my line (55), however, placing a neighbor's address gives a higher speed which makes me concerned. I tried placing other people's numbers and it seems only 54 can get a higher sync speed compared to other people in my flat - this is possibly because he has copper or no telephone line installed?
Estragon
Rising Star

Partial quotes are allowed :). Just not full quotes.
Quote from: Riza
Quote from: Estragon
According to some moderator, quotes aren't allowed?  Huh

Unfortunately, I am connected to an Huawei Cabinet with an ECI Modem

The reason I asked about the HG v ECI is just what you picked up, getting into the ECI is a pig. But if you bought an HG612 off eBay, preferably one that's already unlocked - which unfortunately would cost more, we could see an awful lot more about your line and possibly whether you should be getting higher speeds. Without those figures we are really blundering around in the dark.
If you've seen the unlocking instructions on kitz and think you could do that, then a locked one is better, as we would know you were loading the latest version of the unlocked. A bought one may have an older version and you would have to redo the unlocking anyway.
Powering off the modem causes a re-sync.  End of :). [pedant] Once you turn it back on! [/pedant].
It's a pity you can't disconnect from the router as what that does is close the PPP session at Plusnet. Daft though it may seem, I'm not sure rebooting it always does.
Turning things off occasionally isn't going to upset the DLM, but once they are off I would leave it more like 20-30 minutes to make sure the PPP session at Plusnet auto-drops. However, right at the start you said "When I reported a fault with this Line Speed before, they have said they have changed it to my main line - but it isn't changing at all".
It is quite possible that just didn't happen. Perhaps you should ask again. But it won't be slowing down your sync speed. It is feasible it could slow down your throughput a fraction if streaming heavily, but I'd be surprised if it did.
Riza
Rising Star

Ok, so I've been doing a couple of tests.  Cheesy
I've tested the first the following with a Ethernet connected directly to the Modem (without the router, just in-case it does bottleneck my connection).
This test was done normally with the VDSL faceplate on and being connected directly to the modem

The next test was done with the VDSL faceplate off and connected to the test socket of the ADSL faceplate (the socket of the normal ADSL plate behind the VDSL faceplate didn't connect) connected with a microfilter (surprisingly giving me a better result - though I point this to cache?)

After all the testing I left it for ~30 minutes and placed the router on and connected with an faceplate (5G connection if you noticed on the taskbar  Tongue , doesn't bottleneck towards a limit of ~40mbps on 2G)

And lastly, the same setup as above but done on thinkBroadband (I guess the jitter is because of the WiFi connection? It peaked towards 90Mbps at the start - either WiFi or cache)

I also did another test with the Plusnet router but it gave me 66.4mbps down...

I tried to use the TAP3 tests with their speedtest account but it kept on giving me the system is busy error...
I guess the reason for the last results giving me a increase in speed is because I have noticed the socket was a bit loose, I screwed it in more tightly this time. The installer had forgot to put a screw on the left side since it's being blocked with another master socket right next to this one. I tried plugging in my phone in this other socket, no dial tone. It has the old BT logo (the one with an T) - the master socket right now has the newer Openreach Modem on both faceplates.
And now, to unlock the ECI modem with a custom firmware of OpenWRT which allows support for G.INP due to a custom driver, requires me to unscrew the modem, drill holes into the serial port which are 1mm and then place a right angle header with an UART serial connection. I'm willing to not risk this as I'm not careful  Tongue and I don't like going into hardware modding.
Thanks for the help, I learnt that leaving the modem for 20~30 minutes should drop an PPP session  Wink
When I connected via a PPPoE connection through Windows, there is a disconnect button which I presume does the same thing?
It's weird that a MicroFilter is giving a higher speed than the VDSL faceplate?  Huh
My router is soon to be supported with DD-WRT which should allow me to disconnect and connect a session.
And the speeds are looking great and now I'm connected to a different gateway pcl-ag08. I prefer the pcl-ag gateways over the usual BNG ones which frequently disconnect after a period of time  Roll_eyes
Riza
Rising Star

The IP Profile isn't frozen, my router is limiting bandwidth  Grin
I found out that on the Linksys Forums, I should set this using  n x 1024=##### so if my maximum sync speed was 74.4 it would 74.4 x 1024.
I'm guessing it sets the value of the line speed at the initial setup  Smiley

The MTU is 1492 right? I don't want to use their Auto MTU since I don't trust them at all now.
Follow up https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,142960.0.html thread I've made if anyone else is on a Linksys Router. Make sure to login LOCALLY through 192.168.1.1 (with the router's password instead of the Linksys Account Login) and not the internet based site as they don't allow you to change the settings on the media prioritization tab.
jsamuel
Grafter

Depending on if your router supports jumbo frames (I've had a quick search, it doesn't :() you can set your MTU to 1500. Yes, 1492 Smiley