cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line moved to closer cabinet - Line speed still low

lmschuffer
Hooked

Line moved to closer cabinet - Line speed still low

After years of getting 17 Mb from a cabinet 1500 meters away a replacement of the BT modem a couple on months ago brought the speed up to 24Mb.

I was very please to see an all-in-one infill cabinet being installed 100 meters away and was migrated to it just over a week ago and at the same time my package received the free upgrade from a 2Mb to a 10Mb upload limit.

I am still only getting a 24Mb down and 3.5Mb up throughput even though my ( new ) modem now syncs at 55/10.

The BT broadband availability checker says I can get  24.9 down and a 2.2 up even though everybody and his dog knows a 170 meter cable run would easily get 70 plus Mb.

PN support say they can not pass the ( obvious ) fault to their supplier because my line speed is running as expected but it may get re-graded in the future !.

I asked them if they thought a cable length this short could be expected to do much better and they fell back to the it's performing as expected.

The BT wholesale performance test reports a download speed of 52Mb down 7.9Mb up but unfortunately the further diagnostics test currently is permanently suffering from the common error and is not passing the data to the server and is not displaying the line profile.

I had included the numbers in a fault ticket and support complained I had not stated if that was megabytes or megabits, clearly they did not believe me either way and insisted I sent screen shots of the BTW speed test and other site tests.

I suggested that they might like to inform their suppliers that clearly there is something wrong with the infrastructure setup and was told they had no means of doing that and I should wait for the regrade !.

BTW on a wired connection.

Anybody else experiencing similar issues ?.

Certainly not making me proud.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Changed thread title to reflect issue after split to its own thread.

7 REPLIES 7
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Line moved to closer cabinet - Line speed still low

Moderator's note:

Split to its own thread for better visibility.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately as your line speeds are above your estimates our suppliers wouldn't accept this as a fault. If we were to arrange an engineer the likely outcome would be that the job is signed off as right when tested and a call-out fee applied.

As your modem is in sync at the maximum product we've ordered from BT Wholesale, it's possible your line can sync higher if we modify your circuit to 80/20. To do that you'll need to upgrade to Unlimited Fibre Extra.

With regards to your throughput, where are you seeing 24mbps as you've advised you're also seeing 52mbps?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
lmschuffer
Hooked

Sorry if I was not clear in my post.

ALL of the speed test sites report my throughput as around 24.xMb down and 3.xMb up.

The BT broadband availability checker says I can get  24.9Mb down and a 2.2Mb up

The BT wholesale performance test reports 72.21Mb and 7.69Mb but fails the further diagnostics test, does not pass data to the server and is not displaying the line profile.

I have sent support screen shots of all these tests, one attached here.

So I cannot see what my ipprofile is currently set to.

My experience here is that it would be around 96% of the sync speed. ( as was always the case on Cab 7 )

Package chosen, using the 96% rule, profiles should be 52.8Mb down and 9.6Mb up as shown by the GEA test PN support ran on 31st March..

If I choose to upgrade to the Fibre Extra package, as you suggest, would I not still be limited to speeds shown in BT availability checker, as I am now ?.

I'm sure if this problem was pointed out to your supplier it could be solved very quickly.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The BT Broadband Availability Checker advises of your estimated sync speeds, not throughput.

If your modem is in sync at 55/10 I'd expect you to receive a throughput of close to that.

I'm not sure why the BTW speed test is advising you've got a speed of over 70mbps when your sync speed is below that.

If you leave this with me I'll be happy to look into this further tomorrow when I'm back in the office.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for waiting.

Your circuit is in sync at a downstream rate of 54.9mbps and an upstream rate of 10mbps.

I've checked the capacity report at your exchange and there doesn't seem to be any congestion there.

Do you experience slow speeds using a different device?

In addition, can you run the BT speedtest via Internet Explorer, completing the further diagnostics at the end? This will store the result on the supplier system and will help us in reporting a fault to our suppliers.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
lmschuffer
Hooked

Gandalf

Thanks for the update.

I have had a further phone call from support and as my current hardware and software, when using the http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ wholesale site, reports 72.21 Mbps down and 7.69 Mbps up indicates there are no issues at my end and therefor any other test I might do would be unproductive.

It's interesting that the above BT speed check ignores the current Ipprofile for the line whereas other sites do not.

The consensus is that the new cabinet is using the line information from the old cabinet and might remain so for a couple of months yet until it gets (re)graded.

Support feel that a new customer to PN ( or another ISP ) would also get the slow speed.

You have to ask yourself, how is the cabinet grading done when a cabinet is first installed, clearly BT have no line data so must grade it immediately.

Why would they not do so for an infill cabinet ???.

You can all imagine just how frustrating this is....................

A sincere thanks to all PN staff for answering all my nagging questions even though they were all in vain. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi there.

As I've said your line is in sync at 55/10. I'd ignore the estimates as your line is obviously over-performing.

With regards to your throughput, can you run a test at www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest please?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet