cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line length issues.

Necroscope445
Dabbler

Line length issues.

Does anyone know if there are any accurate graphs of speed over distance for the "last mile" All the ones I have seen seem to indicate a much better speed than I am getting.
It seems that I am about  1900m from cabinet,(took a drive down this morning). The DP  from my house is outside the front so no  issues there, drop line was replaced in 2010 about 35m long.
All my line speed tests come in at around 3.5Mbps which is below estimate  9.2Mbps.
The engineer who came to see me ran tests on the line and the all came back ok, no faults etc.
Just had a chat with an engineer down at the cab who said that there were only 17 connections made so far for fibre, so I cant see contention being much of an issue.
He suggested boosting the line might help or bonded pairs, is this something the ISP can offer or is it only a Openreach/BT solution?
PN have said they can't do anything as I am too far away from the cabinet.
I have requested to go back to ADSL as there is no real benefit from staying on fibre at these speeds (ADSL gave me around 3Mbps if memory serves)
Any ideas before I take a step back in time Sad
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Line length issues.

As a final check what is the IP profile - see Speed Faults sticky at the top of this board
Necroscope445
Dabbler

Hi Oldjim the test gave me an IP profile of 4.6Mbps  with a best effort speed of 3.33Mbps
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

In which case it would appear that you are stuffed
The only extra information which Plusnet could supply is the noise margin - which should be about 6dB
Necroscope445
Dabbler

Getting stuffed.. Is that a technical term Wink
There seems to be a total lack of real world figures that you can apply to a situation, I suppose that the fibre up to the cabinet is a given 100%(ish) The copper afterwards it seems you are in the lap of the God. Trawling around the net I have found other people with similar lines to mine were on around 9-12Mbps, so I take it they have better copper or something, it is the something that seems unquantifiable! I will have to go see my neighbours now, they were hoping to upgrade but were waiting to see what outcome I had before they committed to it