Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line installation in block of flats

RMGQ92
Dabbler

Line installation in block of flats

Hi

Having recently moved into my own appartment this is the first time I have had to sort out my own fixed line interenet connection. I live on the 2nd floor of a 15 floor block of flats and I was wondering how this will affect the installation process.

For starters I have no idea where the line will need to be installed, do the engineers need access to anything in particular inside the block/my specific flat?

The intercom system to buzz up to the flats in my block does not work, I left a message to tell the engineer to call me to get in when placing my order but how can I double check this message has gone through?

If there is already a line installed in my flat what is the £50 installation fee for?

Thanks

R

4 REPLIES 4
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: Line installation in block of flats

Good Afternoon, 

A New line installation would be required if there is no active line to the property, there may be a physical line but if this is not active or disconnected elsewhere it counts as no line to Openreach hence the fee's, we do cover the majority of these for installs though Smiley 

In regards to access, the building should have an internal distribution point, which then breaks off into the flats themselves, in a lot of cases the engineer only needs to access this and the work is done as the cabling to your physical flat is already in place, if the engineer finds this is not the case he will work with you and the building owner to rectify the solution, depending on any extra work they may need to come back another time but this isn't common.

If you wish to check the message got to Openreach as part of the order, pop me a message with your Plusnet username and I'll check the order that we have sent Smiley 

RMGQ92
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick response

Regarding the internal distribution point, I have no idea what it looks like or where it might be. Is this something that will normally be easily accessible to the engineer?

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

It should usually be yes, in some cases it's in a locked room and the exchange may have a set of keys for it, but all depends on the building layout, management and any agreements with Openreach, unfortunately one things we'll only know on the day.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

I should hassle Landlord or agent to get intercom fixed. May cause delays in emergency services needing access, besides others needing access.