cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line fault led to account closure without my consent

Nigel_S
Hooked

Line fault led to account closure without my consent

On the 28th of February I lost internet and the DSL light on my modem turned off, even when connected to the BT test socket.

I reported the fault to Plusnet on the 29th and one week later on the 6th of March I was informed that BT have cleared a fault on the line, and then a follow-up message stating that the issue had not been resolved. I was still unable to get internet and the DSL light was still off.

On 7 March I called Plusnet who ran a test and confirmed another fault on the line described as "between DP and customer apparatus"

After several calls chasing Plusnet for an update, on the 12th of March I was told that a BT engineer would assess my line that day, but soon after I was informed by text that BT needed more time and they will have an update on 14 March.

Within half an hour of being told this, I see the following confusing message:

WLR cease order sent. The WLR product will be removed when the cease order completes.
Cancellation scheduled for Line Only. Effective on 12-03-2019

This was actioned by: lhartley

I called again, and I was told that the cancellation was requested by myself, which is completely false. The follow-up email stated:

I can confirm that your account was closed and your services ceased at your request, during a phone call to our offices at approximately 16:54 12/03/2019. I have had the call listened to and confirm that this is the case

This was now getting ridiculous, I did NOT request a cancellation - I was still waiting for the line fault to be resolved.

I asked to hear this supposed call where I requested a cancellation of my account, and a Subject Access Request has been put in on 15 March but it will take up to a month to get a response. As I did not request the cancellation, I do not expect this imaginary phone call to ever materialise.

Can someone with authority please take a look at my case as a matter of urgency as I have been offline for nearly 3 weeks now.

I would like to know:

• When will the fault on my line be fixed? I have had no further updates on this.
  • Why did "lhartley" cancel my account?
  • Why was I incorrectly told that I made a cancellation request? I most certainly didn't and I have not been shown any evidence proving otherwise.
  • I have been informed that I will be charged a termination fee for a line that I did not cancel. Is this a mistake?

Thank you in advance for looking into this.
Nigel

13 REPLIES 13
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Line fault led to account closure without my consent

Hi @Nigel_S, thanks for your post.

On reading your account of what's happened, I'm sincerely sorry to hear of your issues.

• When will the fault on your line be fixed? - As your account has been cancelled, we're unable to progress to repairing the line. The only way we'd be able to get your services back up and running would be to place a new order.

***THE BELOW IS EDITED AS FURTHER INFORMATION HAS COME TO LIGHT SINCE MY INITIAL RESPONSE***

• Why did "lhartley" cancel your account/Why were you incorrectly told that you made a cancellation request? - The account notes state that you made this request via telephone. I've now listened to the call myself and can confirm that on answering a call from tech support, our COT advisor did indeed ask 'Is this Nigel' to which the caller answered 'Yes'. As the call was an internal transfer, the advisor then proceeded with the call.

However - It transpires that the caller was a different customer and our agent has miskeyed the account when opening it up, meaning your account was on screen. We don't know why the other customer agreed that he was Nigel as yet. This issue has of course been fed back to the relevant management for internal action to be taken.

• You have been informed that you will be charged a termination fee for a line that you did not cancel? Is this a mistake? - Yes - as you did not request to cancel your account no fees would be chargeable. Even if they're generated we'll ensure that we waive them.

For the moment, to get back online as quickly as possible, we'd recommend setting a new account up with the Customer Options Team. They are contactable directly on 0800 013 2632 and they are open between the following hours:

Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 20:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 19:00
Sunday: 09:00 - 18:00

Alternatively, we can arrange for a COT advisor to call you, at a time to suit.

AnnieGM

As I am a Plusnet customer living in the same general location as this member, I am extremely concerned at the level of poor service he has received and extremely concerned if it can happen to him, it can happen to me.  I hope Plusnet resolve the issue with consideration for the problems they have caused him and at the very least, offer him some sort of compensation for all the time he has been without internet access.

I tend to be loyal but if I  feel Plusnet are not living up to the standards of service they frequently advertise they give, then I may look for a new provider.

Nigel_S
Hooked

@OskarPapa Thank you for your prompt response, it's much appreciated.

To clarify, the phone call made during that period was indeed made by myself, and I passed through security as noted. However, it is the content of that phone call which is in dispute. The intended purpose of the call was to chase up the issue with the line fault as BT had been dragging their heels. At no point during this call did I make any suggestion whatsoever in terms of cancelling my account - I only wanted my line to be repaired.

I did not realise that only a transcript will be provided in the DSAR - Clearly, this is not good enough and I want to hear the actual audio recording with my own voice requesting the supposed cancellation. I know that this is impossible as I never said these words so perhaps there has been a mix-up in the recordings and the wrong recording was retrieved or listened to.

My login details are secure and I can confirm that (other than Plusnet), nobody else possesses these details. So if there was someone impersonating me, it could only be someone at Plusnet.

Please can you issue a request for the original audio as soon as possible. In addition, could you listen to the audio yourself?

Is it possible that a member of staff has accidentally or purposely cancelled my account and is being shielded by the conveniently delayed production of real evidence?

Thanks again for your help

Nigel

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Nigel_S, thanks for getting back to me.

I've edited my previous response based on new information that's come to light. If you'd like to let me know when you've had a chance to review it, we'll then move to get this issue rectified for you.

AnnieGM

This is good news and it is good to know Plusnet will admit they are wrong when they are.

Nigel_S
Hooked

@OskarPapa Thank you for investigating this case more deeply than the other staff members I spoke with. Much appreciated. Prior to this I was accused by staff of cancelling the account myself, or my account being "hacked", or being impersonated and so on.

So it is clear now that Plusnet terminated my account accidentally while my line was in the process of being repaired. I've been offline for 3 weeks and my line is still in an unknown state of disrepair.

You mention you want to recify this issue for me - what do you propose? The following points come to mind:

• You have stated that the incorrect termination fee will be waived
  • I was previously offered credit for the period of downtime I experienced (and am still experiencing due to Plusnet's error)
  • I was on a discounted deal which cost lower than the current broadband offer on your website - can this be reinstated?

Thanks again

Nigel

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Nigel_S,
I'm sincerely sorry to hear that your account has been closed in error and would personally like to make sure that the closure of your current account and then opening of new account goes as smoothly and swiftly as possible moving forwards.
I have documented what steps I'd like to take to make this so via a ticket on your account which can be seen here
Please do drop us a message on here once you've responded to the ticket and I'll happily get the wheel turning in getting you back online.

Nigel_S
Hooked

Hi @BD 

Thanks for your message. I have just responded to the ticket mentioned.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Nigel

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Nigel_S, thank you for getting back to us. I have seen your reply to my ticket and updated this further with confirmation. By all means if you can drops us a message on hear when replying back to the ongoing ticket so that we can get this actioned for you.

The ticket that's ongoing can be found here.

Nigel_S
Hooked

Hi @BD

I have now signed up for a new account and I have updated the ticket where you can see the username for the new account.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards

Nigel

Satss
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 37

Hi @Nigel_S

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Ben is out of the office at the moment. However, I have checked the order on your new account and the phone order is progressing as it should be. I have sent over an email to Ben in the meantime letting him know you have updated the ticket under his ownership. We will update you further on your order by the 25th March.

Nigel_S
Hooked

Hi @BD @Satss 

A BT engineer visited yesterday and fitted a new phone line to the house. Can you please check if it's ready for the broadband order to commence.

Thanks again

Nigel

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @Nigel_S,

I have placed the broadband order and requested activation as soon as possible. I have also updated the ticket on your account which you can access here. We will continue to monitor the progression of the order and provide you updates as we receive them.

Feel free to get back in touch if we can be of further assistance in the meantime.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional