cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line fault fixed, still slow speeds

Rajveer86
Dabbler

Line fault fixed, still slow speeds

I called a few days ago due to low speeds and stuttery latency (I was maxing out download at around 31Mb), and was told that there was a line fault. The Openreach engineer fixed the line yesterday, then ran a test from my master socket with his test device. The test device reported a SNR margin of 3.5dB, download speed of 74Mb and upload of 14Mb.

However when I run a speed test myself I'm still hitting around 31Mb download. Can somebody check if I am being affected by dlm? I tried calling support but the agent wasn't very helpful.

12 REPLIES 12
Rajveer86
Dabbler

Re: Line fault fixed, still slow speeds

Ok I called support again and we tested with the Plus One hub, the hub was syncing ~60Mb but still downloading at 30Mb. The agent then said he changed the profile and after a while I'm now downloading at ~55Mb. My HA612 says that I am syncing at 63Mb down and 15Mb up with an SNR margin of...21.9dB!! I think it's clear that I'm being affected by dlm so I'd like to request a dlm reset to see what happens please (since I did just have a line fix).

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @Rajveer86,

Thanks for getting back to us.

There is an underlying issue that is causing the SNR margin issue you are seeing your side. I have provided a further reply via ticket here. Please reply with your availability and we can pick it up from here.

Thanks.

Rajveer86
Dabbler

Awesome, I've replied, thank you for checking on this first thing in the morning Smiley

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Great, all updated for you @Rajveer86 Smiley

Give us a nudge if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Thanks.

Rajveer86
Dabbler

Hi @Mads, the engineer has come and said that everything looks fine with the line. Immediately after I've connected and my ping has risen to 16ms and I'm now only hitting 45Mb download. Something weird is going on, can you take a look please? I was rock solid at 6-7 ping so I think dlm is kicking in, can I get a reset please.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Rajveer

I've reset your profile - let's see how this looks in 24 hours and take it from there.

Thanks

Dave

pippin2019

Slow speeds especially from 4pm onwards. Phone line checked - all ok . So bad we cannot use two devices at once. Really disappointed as I thought fibre broadband would be much quicker then non fibre!
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @pippin2019

Thanks for getting in touch. I can see that you've raised this with my colleagues who have opened a fault ticket for you here.

Could you please let us know how you get on with the steps contained in that ticket and what the results of a speed test are via a wired device?

Best wishes

Dave

Rajveer86
Dabbler

Hi @RandallFlagg,

I've given it 24 hours and I've seen no improvement. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting, reconnecting with the Plusnet router e.t.c. I'm syncing at 56Mb download and am only able to download at 45Mb, I have a ping of 15. This is worse than before the first engineer came to fix the line (when I actually had a line fault). What is going on?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @Rajveer86, looking over the account and testing the connection isn't flagging up any problems in regards to speeds.

While they are around what you're advising (Currently in sync around 49Mbps) the speeds we're seeing when testing are within the estimates for your connection:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 49.5 Mbps
Upstream Speed 14.8 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 759.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 59.6 41.2 11.8 7.2 35 Available Available --

While I appreciate speeds may have been higher in the past, 15ms ping doesn't sound problematic and I'm afraid our suppliers are unlikely to accept a fault regarding slow speeds when the line is performing within the estimates unless there is another problem being exhibited.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Rajveer86
Dabbler

Great, thanks for the help, I'll live with a slower speed and higher ping that what I used to have shall I...Tell me why is it that before a line fault I'm getting a better connection than after 2 engineers come to fix and check out my line?

You reply is basically saying screw you, we're not helping.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Rajveer86

I'm afraid the information that my colleague has provided is correct - line speeds (and as a byproduct, ping speeds) can vary and whilst I appreciate that this is frustrating when you've historically achieved a higher speed, our suppliers will not treat this as a fault whilst your speeds are within the estimate for your line.

Best wishes

Dave

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Tag fixed.