Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line dropping regularly and speed less than half - home based key worker

chodaxuk
Dabbler

Line dropping regularly and speed less than half - home based key worker

Good evening,

I have tried calling to log the issue as this is the 3rd time in the last fortnight I have been left with broadband that is not good enough for me to fulfil my work as a home based key worker deal with Gas emergencies.

Both tonight and on previous occasions I have experienced a loss of connection which took up to 30 minutes to re-establish, on checking the line speed had dropped from 36mbit to 15mbit download and a paltry 5mbit upload. 

Firstly this is not the speed I am paying for that and is an issue that needs to be resolved, more importantly I can not do my job properly, my main applications are functional but the telephony apps require more bandwidth, the call quality has dropped to the lowest setting and occasionally disconnects. Also I can not take part in any Teams videoconferencing to receive process updates etc.

With the webchat down and the lines closed all I have been advised to do is come to the forums and complete a form which so far I have not been able to find.

Can anyone please assist? My employer is happy to supply evidence that I am a keyworker and operate in a critical role.

Many thanks

31 REPLIES 31
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Line dropping regularly and speed less than half - home based key worker

Hi @chodaxuk,

I'm very sorry that you are experiencing issues with your broadband connection and that this is affecting your critical work.

I've tested your line and the test has picked up a fault but has been unable to determine whether this lies at or near to your property. As this is the case, we'll need you to run through some troubleshooting steps to rule out any internal wiring/equipment issues (if you've not done so already.) If the troubleshooting doesn't resolve the problem, we would then be able to raise this to our suppliers for further investigation.

Please run through our troubleshooting guides here. If these steps don't resolve the problem, try connecting your router to the master socket as per the guide here. Please let us know if the issue persists once you have done this.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1613
Description Potential HR Joint detected on GEA service. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location CE
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 12.6 Mbps
Upstream Speed 8.6 Mbps
Appointment Required Y
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 596.9
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2020-04-04T09:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 13.3 Mbps 39.9 Mbps 37.6 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 4.5 Mbps 9.9 Mbps 9.4 Mbps
Up Time 77.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 898.6 Sec
Retrains 0.0 101.0 0.1
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2020-04-17T08:16:29Z 2020-04-17T08:31:29Z
Ingress Code Violation 16 11
Egress Code Violation 6 0
Errored Seconds 1 0
Severely Errored Seconds 1 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
chodaxuk
Dabbler

Has dropped again at 5pm and took over an hour to come back up, the line speed has dropped again. I have been through all the troubleshooting, used a different microfilter and the problem remains. To compound the issue a neighbour has confirmed that Openworld were out doing a repair on the day and time my issues started. Can you please escalate, there is clearly an issue outside of my premises that needs to be investigate. My employer is pushing me for an update and I am dreading telling them that the connection is actually getting worse to the point of being unusable for telephony work.

Capture.PNG

chodaxuk
Dabbler

And now this, it's bizzare.

Capture.PNG

chodaxuk
Dabbler

And now this, talk about a degradation in service, its down to about 25% of normal. Can you please confirm a job has been raised with Openreach, also that they send an engineer with HR equipment to test?

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @chodaxuk,

I am sincerely sorry to hear this and for the inconvenience this is causing.

Please can you report the issue here and update this thread when you have done so.

Once this has been done I will pick this up promptly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
chodaxuk
Dabbler

Capture.PNG

chodaxuk
Dabbler

Thanks. Have logged the ticket as requested, please advise on timescales when you can.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hello @chodaxuk,

There would have been an issue with the connection as I was running tests on your connection. As my tests still have not indicated what the cause is, we will need you to report the issue in the link from previous response as I am not seeing a fault raised with ourselves.

Please come back to me when you have completed this.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
chodaxuk
Dabbler

I did this earlier today, please confirm it has gone through.

chodaxuk
Dabbler

Down to this now, line is incredibly unstable, if I try game or steam video the connection fails before too long.Capture.PNG

chodaxuk
Dabbler

I am on annual leave today but the line is completely useless for work at this time, too many disconnects as soon as I start using heavily. If this is not resolved shortly I am going to be unable to perform my main function, telephony, my employer is already stretched thin and I need to be available to work. Can you please provide an update?

Buttercup
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi there, I can see an engineer appointment has been organised for you. Once this appointment is complete, could you let us know whether this has fixed your issue here?

If it hasn't, we'll pick this back up and make sure we're doing what we can to investigate it further.

Jess Moore
 Plusnet Help Team
chodaxuk
Dabbler

Very very unhappy now. Engineer texted me just before 8am, asked me to do a few checks and was insistent that his tests show there is an extension inside the property. There definitely is not, I took pictures of the master socket and sent as proof. He then went up the pole, did some checks and suddenly the line re-established at full speed. He said he'd ran some tests from the pole outside and they had all passed, a fuse had been changed and some corrosion had been cleaned off.

At that stage I had a full speed connection. It lasted 2 hours. Sad

The disconnections have started again, my line speed is now down to this where before it was 38/10 it is now 14/5

I'm unable to do my job today, I need something to be able to tell my line manager. Please reply as a matter of urgency.

Capture.PNG

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hello @chodaxuk,

I have checked your connection and it has remained stable since the  visit and the speed is looking spot on from our side.

Can you run a wired speed test again and let us know if it has improved or if the speed is still the same.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team