cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line dropouts

mistermun

Line dropouts

For several months now I have had issues with my line dropping out for a couple of minutes several times a week. In addition to that, I have been getting errors when on video calls that there is an issue with my wifi. I decided to invest in a third party router and things are much better; my wifi is lightning fast and I don't get errors in video calls anymore, however, I do still get the line dropping out.

I called Plusnet support on my mobile this morning and asked them if they could see any errors. The agent said that there were no errors and asked me to do a factory reset on the router. I had already told him that it was a third part router but I reminded him and he said it was OK. After the factory reset I was unable to connect to the internet at all. I eventually fixed this myself. The issue was that the factory reset meant that I was trying to register a router that had already been registered. Presumably it is some sort of security measure.

Back to the story. Because my third party router would not connect to the internet I got my old Plusnet router out of the loft and tried that. This was also unable to connect - I had a solid orange bar and a flashing red light. The agent then asked if he could put me on hold and he either hung up or the line dropped (mobile).

I rang again and got a different agent who confirmed that he could see that there had been drop outs on my line, the last one being at 00:26 which is correct. He also got my Plusnet router working again by disconnecting it from the wall socket, resetting it then connecting it back up again. He wasn't able to fix the problem with my third party router but, as I said, I have now been able to resole that myself.

So, long story short, I am now back to the position I was in before I called Plusnet in that I have working internet but still don't know why I get the line dropouts.

Is there a way I can get Plusnet to put a long term test on the line to see if they can see the dropouts? As this is happening on my new third party router and the old Plusnet one then I think it must be either the line or my phone socket. I am hoping that someone on this forum will be able to tell me what I need to ask Plusnet to do.

2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Line dropouts

@mistermun wrote:

Is there a way I can get Plusnet to put a long term test on the line to see if they can see the dropouts?

Welcome to the forum.

There is already a continuous monitor on your line that will spot drop outs. What you need to see is the Radius Chart for your line.

You have obviously fallen foul of inexperianced/untrained Customer Service Agents. Whilst they are extremely thin on the ground these days hopefully one of the more knowledgeable Plusnet staffers will spot this post and publish this data for you.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

mistermun

Re: Line dropouts

Thanks @Baldrick1  I'll wait to see if a staffer picks this up. If not I'll try calling again and ask to see me radius chart.