cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line check

NoZephy
Rising Star

Line check

Can a member of staff please post a full diagnostic of my line that checks for taps etc? getting some weird speed loss tonight and not sure if it's an exchange issue or something happening with the line.
EDIT: Just noticed there's some packet loss happening along with the changing speed so I've been sitting on 17070 quiet line for a while now but the line sounds no different than before when it was working fine Huh
Also tried a gateway hop and now the speeds are higher, up in the 65-72 range while before the hop it went all the way down to 6Mbps. Regardless though, the speeds are still flakey at best and any http downloads are crawling speed. Is this just another PN related issue or something?
I thought it might be worth noting that my upload speed is still completely solid and clocks in at 18.73 consistently and doesn't fluctuate at all. Also there have been no resyncs, stats from 8800NL seem perfectly normal and only manual session drops to try and get on a different gateway.

SUPERFAST Cool
11 REPLIES 11
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Line check

You can check whether you've had any change in sync speed by running the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Your BT IP profile is directly related to your sync speed. If your profile hasn't changed there will not have been an issue with the line.
NoZephy
Rising Star

Profiles haven't budged and the BT profile is still at 77.35, I checked TBB just now and the packet loss stopped just before midnight and the connection is now back to normal, along with the speed.
Pretty odd, I've seen some other posts with some pretty bad packet loss from evening to midnight. Hope this isn't a normal thing from now on.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@Anotherone
He knows the sync speed along with a lot more useful information as he uses a Billion 8800NL
stats from 8800NL seem perfectly normal and only manual session drops to try and get on a different gateway.

@NoZephy
You are seeing this problem http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140851.0.html
Anotherone
Champion

So why waste CRT's time asking for a full line checks for taps then Crazy
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Perhaps because he wasn't aware of the extent of the problem and thought it might be specific to his line
NoZephy
Rising Star

Quote from: Anotherone
So why waste CRT's time asking for a full line checks for taps then Crazy

Because I've never had any sort of issues like this with the line thus far, and even though I can see the stats from my router on my end it would be nice to have some clarification from PN staff on the status of my line to narrow it down.
Also, I pay them quite a fair bit to get access to the internet, I'd like to think they have my back and would help me if I made a request.
Quote from: Oldjim
@NoZephy
You are seeing this problem http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140851.0.html

Maybe that is the problem but before I've only experienced speed loss on the single thread download, this time it was on the multi threaded download and I was getting packet loss all the way until midnight.
I've done another gateway hop this morning as the speed was a bit flakey but packet loss was gone and now the line is perfect again, no packet loss or speed loss.
Anotherone
Champion

But if line stats haven't changed, nor has the IP Profile which you are aware of from previous posts, and you already knew of the Capacity thread having posted there previously, surely you must have thought that  the line can't be responsible Huh  If there was a line issue you'd be seeing some odd stats. Your throughput speed won't slow down like that due to the line without a drop in sync speed and hence profile. HTH.
NoZephy
Rising Star

Do you always have to have the last word or something? This isn't up for debate.
I asked for help because I was unsure, sorry if I'm not an MLG pro and don't have greater knowledge on my ISP's network or BT's network etc. I just stated in my last post that before I've only experienced speed loss on single thread downloads, this time it was on multi threaded as well and I was getting some packet loss which is what threw me off and though it might be something between me and the exchange. I changed gateways over 5 times last night and it never fixed the issue like it has done before, there was always packet loss and the speeds were always fluctuating like crazy.
That's all there is to it. If a mod can lock the thread it would be greatly appreciated.
Anotherone
Champion

Who said I was "having the last word", the information was supposed to be helpful so that you have a better understanding of how things work. I won't bother again  Roll_eyes
Edit: leave the thread open and CRT may pick this up later if they have time and test your line if  you really want that assurance.
NoZephy
Rising Star

Sorry, just the way it came across to me seemed condescending.
Nah there's no point in keeping it open, it's definitely an issue related to the capacity thread.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Mod Note
Thread locked at OPs request.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine