Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line check please.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Line check please.

Can someone on the CRT do a line check for me,  it was banded on the downstream after my last drop and i'm interested to know if there has been any change and any signs of it going back to normal, am i at the top of the band or am i stuck with banding for the forseeable future, thanks.
39 REPLIES 39
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Line check please.

Your current profile is "0.128M-60M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-17M Upstream, Error Protection Off"
At the moment your syncing at 51.8 so the banding isn't causing the speeds to be slow.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Terranova667
Pro

Thanks for the info Matt  Smiley
if there is no error protection DLM must think the line is good enough not to add any if that is the case why hasn't any of my speed returned It's been nearly 4 months since the last drop and I haven't even seen 1k improvement never mind getting back to any thing like i use to have I'm not expecting to get back to the full 65Mb i had when i joined a year ago i expect cross talk has some part to play in that,  but at least some of it would be nice.
At least i know the banding isn't an issue as looking at where i'm syncing i'm not at the top  but If DLM isn't applying anything to prevent an increase of any kind as far as i can tell then i don't know why nothing is happening My TBB graphs look perfectly fine i don't have any signs of packet loss or anything that might indicate noise error protection is off what else do i need  Sad     
AndyH
Grafter

DLM doesn't control the speeds.
So when your first setup for FTTC, your line connects as fast as it can to a target snr of 6dB with no DLM active. If the line conditions change, then the speeds will vary to meet the target snr. This is the rate adaptive side - if you think about it, this has to be present or every line would try and connect at the same 40/80Mbps speed.
When a line becomes unstable but is meeting the snr, then this is where DLM comes in by applying error correction or banding.
You can (with some modem/routers) play around and lower the snr. This should improve the speeds a little bit, but you run a very real risk of DLM throwing a hissy fit and intervening.
Terranova667
Pro

Well if it's not DLM what the hell is stopping me from getting at least some of my speed back, I'm not at the top of the banding currently 51Mb as stated by Matts post, yes my line may have become unstable enough for DLM to add banding but it's stable enough for DLM not to do anything else if that's the case why no Improvement shouldn't there at least be an attempt to see if the line can handle more but nothing has change in nearly 4 months I don't understand what is holding it back. If it was noise then surly DLM would add error correction as it's not doing that then that's not the reason so what is.

AndyH
Grafter

The quality of the line - the line is syncing at the best rate it can based on the parameters set by the DSLAM. DLM on/off would make no difference to you at the moment.
You can try re-syncing in the evening or morning to see if there's any improvement, but it's likely something has deteriorated somewhere on your line to the cabinet.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I would not try a resync in the evening. Do a "graceful" disconnect in daylight hours, around the middle of the day is often a good time.
So log into your Router and go to the PPP Interface and click Disconnect to drop your session to Plusnet.  Wait about a minute and then power off the Router. After about another minute power off the Modem. Leave it off for an hour (more if you wish) but power on again well in daylight hours.
Wait until sync is established and the lights stabilise, then power on the Router. When it's booted you may need to log in and go to the PPP Interface and click Connect to establish a new PPP session.
(If you happen to be using a Router without a Disconnect/Connect button, just pull the power plug on the Router and wait a couple of minutes before powering off the Modem).
Terranova667
Pro

@Andy & Anotherone thanks i will give it a try tomorrow and report back.
currently this is what i get for the BTW further diagnostic test 
Download speed achieved during the test was - 48.1 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 Mbps-50.16 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 50.16 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 10.47Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
I'll see if anything change after tomorrows reboot.
AndyH
Grafter

Have you unlocked your modem to see the line stats? That might give you some extra information which could be of use.
Terranova667
Pro

My modem is a BTO  ECI modem so it's locked and as i understand it cant be easily unlocked if at all I'm not going to start messing around as it's beyond my technical expertise. 
Terranova667
Pro

Well I did the reboot fallowing the instructions Anotherone gave and ran a BTW test nothing changed on the downside still have a 50Mb profile but the upside has fallen to only 5Mb not sure why but it seems DLM has stuck it's nose in so much for DLM not doing anything, I'll leave it and see if anything happens but I dunno guess i'm stuck with it.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 48.22 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 Mbps-50.21 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 50.21 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 5.23Mbps
Additional Information:
Anotherone
Champion

Try running that BTw test again and a Speedtest.net one, don't just rely on the one test. Also try later this afternoon. It's odd you get a poor upload speedtest yet the download is virtually unchanged.
Terranova667
Pro

yeah it's odd, i have run it again on both BTW speedtest.net and TBB and i still get 5Mb for the upload and the download as you say has not changed, I have no clue what is going on, oh i should point out i gateway hopped about three times to see if that made a difference one was on a BNG then one was a AG then back to a BNG that i'm on now none made a difference.  
BTW restults
Download speedachieved during the test was - 48.29 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-50.21 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 50.21 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 5.27Mbps
Additional Information:
Speedtest.net

TBB test

Anotherone
Champion

There's something going on that's affecting your Upstream - wasn't a neighbour out with an electric lawn mower or hedge trimmer, or someone using a drill etc when you resynced by any chance?
I said odd earlier, because the last profile check that Matthew did for you showed "0.128M-17M Upstream, Error Protection Off" whereas on the 30/1/15 it was showing "0.128M-17M Upstream, Interleaving On"
Terranova667
Pro

I only have one neighbour and they were out at the time of my resync so nothing to interfere in that way so i have no clue why the upload has dropped so much, I don't know what the difference is between error protection and Interleaving aren't they the same thing ?   I dunno, Ive always felt something is wrong since my first drop back in June of last year but Plusnet deny there is despite a bridge tap fault that they detected in GEA tests but they also say is having no effect I dont know if that is true or not, but getting them to do anything is like trying to get blood out of a stone no one at Plusnet wants to take this seriously.