Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line and Profile Check Please

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Line and Profile Check Please

Hi, Can you show my line stats and check my Profile Please? Profile has rigidly remained at 37.04Mbps since forever which just doesn't feel right. Now running on BTO Huawei modem with upgrade "08" to suit G.INP and ought to see I change, I reckon.
Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Line and Profile Check Please

I've attached it to this post.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Matthew, greatly appreciated.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Yesterday morning began as usual with my doing a speed test and confirming all was the same, the fixed profile on BTW Performance test of 37.04, and OOKLA declaring about 35Mbps at the PC. I had been puzzling the faster Down connection rate shown on Matthew's Test stats, and wondered if the problem could be my end. Leaving the BTO modem connected I restarted the ASUS DSL-AC68U now used as a router only connected to the modem by (Cat5?) cable.
No change, and then another OOKLA showed movement 36.4Mbps. A follow-up BTW Performance test showed the increase AND a profile change to 40.75 from 37.04 Connected Speed was shown as 38.5Mbps and Green Lined. An hour later (nothing altered anywhere in the meantime) the Profile remained 40.75, but the connected speed had apparently dropped to 29Mbps and was showing a Red line. I'd almost forgotten seeing red lines, and was pleased to know that they still work.
I had to go out for a few hours and found myself wondering about what had happened, and what things might look like when I got back later.
On return, the speeds were all back at 38.23Mbps or thereabouts, Profile still 40.75, and so it has remained.
I realised that I could not see either the ASUS router nor my Modem on windows explorer, I wondered if there was a clash of addresses (foolish maybe, but imagination kicks in to overcome lack of knowledge), so I changed the address of the ASUS from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1 and its now visible. Cannot see the modem, and pings to 192.168.1.100 (which I thought it was) are not being returned.
Does any of this matter? I've no idea. In my trawling later on, last night,  I found that my PC was assigned an odd address unlike any in my home network. its on win7 ultimate, and says that its part of a business network, it will not adjust to being part of a home network, after a restart, its doggedly back as a member of a business network, but I reconfigured its address to one recognised as being on my network.
All is good today speed and operation wise, but I remain a bit puzzled. I am no IT expert, just what I pick up on my travels, and Networks have always been a bit alien to me.
Anyone got any thoughts? or can see something obvious that I've overlooked?
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

My BTW Performance Test IP Profile has remained at 40.75mbps, the Downlink speed is more or less steady at its recently increased speed, but my Uplink has lost nearly 3.0Mbps, for over 2 days now.
Why would that be?
My experience of Speed tests tells me that uplink speed is very stable normally and a great indicator of connection health.
elfish
Grafter

From what I have experienced, the BTW speed test always gives me low upload figures.
Your line may of had the G.INP fix applied, which others have stated, losing speed on the up stream, due to error correction overheads.
Try these testers instead (I find both to give me the most accurate results):
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/speedtest2.html
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thank you for your reply elfish, very helpful, and interesting.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

No speed changes overnight, BTW Performance test IP profile remains the same 40.75Mbps. Oddly, various speed tests are reporting 10ms pings today, that's surprisingly low in recent months here. Had hoped to see the "missing" 3Mbps Upload speed return but its been doggedly at 11Mbps for about 4 days.
All in all, not bad at the moment, better than in recent weeks, but not as good as it once was. Wondering if the shorter ping has any major significance?
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Another day, and another set of speed checks. Speed has deteriorated a little, both up and down, not much, but enough to notice. Broadband is like a candle flame that blazes at times, falters at others. Perhaps speeds will return but why will they, and why do they degrade so readily?  Watched my speeds slowing over a few days, not much, as I say, but gradually, and it riles somewhat. I wonder if the problem is my side of the socket? the modem? the router? I reset the router and no change, reluctant to try resetting the modem and poking DLM in the eye.
The one good thing is that my profile on BTW Performance Test is still at the higher level set last week.
I know that I keep banging on about it, and should be thankful with my speeds, which aren't bad at all, but I have far less confidence in my connection than I used to.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Just to update, after sitting at the same speeds for a fortnight, yesterday morning showed no change, but by lunchtime my IP profile had adjusted upwards to 45.4Mbps (from 40.75 mbps, which gave about 36Mbps at the PC), and after resetting the modem, my speed down has increased to 40Mbps at the PC which I take to be limited by my package (40/20).
Is there any way to test the maximum that one's line can carry?
The Up Speed is doggedly at 11Mbps at the PC, it had for some time been 15-16Mbps, until about 6 weeks ago. I suspect that speed is locked somehow.
Anyway, its good to know that given long enough speeds can and do return.
I am using the Huawei BTO modem continually rather than returning to using the built in modem in my ASUS DSL-AC68U Router Modem, as it seems likely that the ASUS modem reacts badly with my cabinet.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=143551169013259481346 Current Results, not bad, I'm thinking. A long time since I've seen them this good, which poses the question, Why?
Why does it take so long to get back to speeds that were originally commonplace, and after more people have joined my cabinet too, what has changed? (if anything).
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

what has changed? (if anything).

It's all down to the vagaries of fibre. I had a steady 45/12 which decayed to 35/10, & worse, about 3 weeks ago. My ping was also all over the place. It became so bad that I eventually raised a fault. During the fault find it suddenly returned to its former glories. No faults were found.
elfish
Grafter

@danludlow, what is your PlusNet Line Speed? (You can find out by logging in to your account and then clicking on High-speed Broadband.)
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

@elfish Thanks.
Current PlusNet Line Speed 45.2Mbps Estimated Speed 35Mbps.
Can't complain, can I.