cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line activated, no broadband at any socket

s27ths
Dabbler

Line activated, no broadband at any socket

Had the messages about the broadband being activated, plusnet sent someone out but didn't need to access the property. None of the phone sockets inn the house deliver broadband, just a flashing orange error on the hub. Any ideas are much appreciated!
26 REPLIES 26
Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Line activated, no broadband at any socket

What do you mean by Plusnet sent some out but didn't need to access properly is this for the fibre upgrade if yes it's done via local fibre cabinet? Is this new line or upgrade.
Excellent!
s27ths
Dabbler

Hi.
It's a new account, I've just moved into a new property. When I signed up for unlimited fibre the site said I needed a line installing. Then I got an email nearer the installation date saying they didn't need to access the property as it could be connected from the cabinet as you say. However, there are four phone sockets in the house and the hub just orange lights them all, none work.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Is the phone line working? Ideally with a corded phone dial 17070 and make sure it gives the number you are expecting.

s27ths
Dabbler

That's my next step, haven't owned an actual telephone in years, I'll need to buy one tomorrow I guess
Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Yes check line it might not be properly connected. When they installed the line did they visit your property to make sure it's working?
You can buy a corded phone from Argos for a fiver or see if you can borrow one for time being.
Excellent!
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@s27ths wrote:
 However, there are four phone sockets in the house and the hub just orange lights them all, none work. 

As previously advised, your first move has to be to make sure that you have a working phone line by plugging in a wired phone.

When that is sorted you need to pay attention to all these phone sockets. The router should be plugged into the BT Master Socket. This should look like this: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242. If you're lucky this will have a filtered faceplate fitted, which will have two sockets, one for ADSL and the other for phone. If this is fitted and wired correctly then the router will not work correctly in the other sockets but they will be fine for phones. If the house is old and does not have one of these modern NTE5 Master Sockets then the router should still be connected via a microfilter to the one where the BT line enters the property but in addition filters should be fitted into each of the other outlets. If it were me I would review all these sockets and if any aren't required then disconnect them from the master socket as they can potentially affect your internet speed (when of course you get it!).

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Our tests aren't finding the cause of why your router is unable to connect to the internet. The result we're getting is suggesting that your router either isn't switched on, or there's a possible cross jumpering problem at the cabinet.

With that said as we're not finding a definitive cause, I would recommend running through the troubleshooting guide as Baldrick1 has advised, and raise a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net if you still can't connect as we'd need to arrange an engineer visit to further investigate.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
s27ths
Dabbler

Thanks for checking, but I unplugged the router this morning before I left. Are you able to check again this evening? I can have it plugged in and checked by approx 6:30pm
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah ok that'll explain the test results. I'm not in the office past 5:30 but if you can leave your router switched on overnight I'll run a test tomorrow. In the meantime, let us know how those checks go.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
s27ths
Dabbler

So... Phone purchased, connected to all sockets, no dial tone at any. So I've reconnected the router and powered up ready for the line test tomorrow. Wish the engineer had checked the line when they activated it now, seems futile to make the trip out and do something outside without knowing everything was fine inside.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Did you manage to try the test socket?
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
s27ths
Dabbler

The one inside the master?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yep that’s right.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
s27ths
Dabbler

Same thing. There's something, like a very, very faint buzz, but not a dial tone.