Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Stats Thoughts / Comments Needed

FIXED
bigshorty40
Grafter

Line Stats Thoughts / Comments Needed

Hi All.

Just wondering if any of you guys with line stats knowledge would be kind enough to have a look through the stats gathered from my modem, and see if you can notice anything out of place or that doesn't look quite right. I get random disconnections on my Plusnet fibre connection that affect download speed and didn't know if the stats below would reveal anything that could be related. Not being that technically minded myself, I don't really know the areas I should be looking at:

Line Mode: G.993.2 (VDSL2) — Annex B — Profile 17a
Status & Uptime: UP — 1d 0h 18m 46s — Resyncs: 1
Line State: showtime_tc_sync [0x801]
Power Mode: L0 - Synchronized

Downstream — Upstream

Attainable Line Speed: 74.740 Mb/s — 26.747 Mb/s
Actual Line Speed: 64.790 Mb/s — 20.000 Mb/s
Trellis: D: ON — U: ON
Bitswap: D: ON — U: ON
G.INP: D: Not Enabled — U: Not Enabled
Virtual Noise Support: D: Not Supported — U: Not Supported
Interleave Depth: 944 — 1
Interleave Block: 85 — 255
Interleave Delay: 8.0 ms — 0.0 ms
INP: 3.0 — 0.0 
NFEC: 85 — 255
RFEC: 16 — 16
LSYMB: 20046 — 5410
LPATH: 0 — 0
Line Attenuation: 13.3 dB / 12.2 dB
Noise Margin/SNR: 6.0 dB / 9.4 dB
Transmit Power: 2.2 dBm / 2.0 dBm

Errors Since Line Up
FECS: 15124353 — 43940 
ES: 1 — 43 
SES: 0 — 0 
LOSS: 0 — 29 
UAS: 34 — 34 
HEC: 0 — 0 
CRC_P: 17 — 0 
CRCP_P: 0 — 0 

Errors in 15 Minutes
Code Violations: 0 — 0 
FECS: 10473 — 0 

Errors in 1 Day
Code Violations: 35 — 13 
FECS: 9097551 — 146

I'd be very grateful for any thoughts and views on whether these stats look good, or whether there is something that doesn't look quite right. I'm surprised that I have over 15 million FEC's since the line was up one day ago, although I have read not to worry about FEC errors too much.

I'd really appreciate any help and many thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Re: Line Stats Thoughts / Comments Needed

"Interleave Depth: 944 — 1"  The downstream interleave depth is quite high, but the purpose of this is to correct data errors so it's not necessarily a bad  thing. (eg all the FECS are corrected errors )

"ES: 1 — 43" Those errored seconds are very good for 1 day uptime. Mine average >50 per hour.

"Status & Uptime: UP — 1d 0h 18m 46s — Resyncs: 1" Only one resync in 24 hours is more a nuisance than a significant problem IMO.

Sorry I can't see anything with those stats to say there's problem with your connection.

It would however be helpful if a Plusnet rep could post your radius graph to show the frequency of resyncs.

The layout of your stats reminds me of those from a Asus vdsl router, if that's the case I suggest you check that it's running the latest firmware, or better still do you have a different vdsl router?  Wink

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 165

Here you go:

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
bigshorty40
Grafter

Many thanks for your thoughts on this npr, much appreciated.

It's nice to know that there doesn't seem to be a significant issues with my line.

I'm currently using an unlocked BT Openreach ECI modem with OpenWRT firmware installed (where I got my line stats from) connected to a TP-Link Archer C3200 router. I did have a Draytek Vigor 130 modem, but I found the ECI has synced at faster speeds, plus it's easier to check line stats as the Vigor only has one LAN port. I have used Asus routers before and thought they were ok, apart from more frequent disconnections, the TP-Link I'm using has been the most stable router I've used to date.

BTW, the reason for the resync in 24 hours, was me changing from the the Vigor modem to the ECI one.

bigshorty40
Grafter

Just to add, I'm also using the BT Openreach ECI modem as I'm connected to an ECI cabinet, and was told by a technically minded acquaintance that this setup should give me a more stable and faster connection. Time will tell on that matter!

Community Veteran

Fix

The graph of your disconnections, kindly supplied by Chris, doesn't show a high level of dropped connections.Don't see this supporting your belief "I get random disconnections on my Plusnet fibre connection that affect download speed", of course that's only over a short time frame.

I'm currently using an unlocked BT Openreach ECI modem with OpenWRT firmware installed 

I knew the layout of those stats looked familiar and reminded be of a modem which gave bad result on my ECI connection. Wink

I think it's well worth risking the £10 or so for a Huawei HG612 modem, they're very easy to unlock and get at the stats.

Edit: corrected Modem No to HG612 Embarrassed

bigshorty40
Grafter

Many thanks for the info and explanation, much appreciated.

You mentioned trying to get hold of a Huawei 615 modem, is there actually such a thing? I've had a quick look on ebay and google and can't find anything about it. I'd be very grateful if you could provide some links or details on it's specs and where they can be sourced.

22over7
Rising Star

I suspect Huawei HG612 was meant: http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm.

They certainly work nicely with a Huawei cabinet.  It is easy to get at the line stats, as described on the kitz page above.

bigshorty40
Grafter

I did wonder! Is this the 'Echolife' modem?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

at some point in the next year it is likely that g.inp will be enabled on your cab which will give quite a good speed increase if your modem/router supports it http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,19830.0.html

bigshorty40
Grafter

Cheers for all the comments chaps, and good news G.INP will be enabled soon, from what I remember this topic has been covered so much and for quite some time, let's hope it doesn't take long to implement it!!

Just thought I'd add some my latest stats as something weird has happened. About half an hour ago, whilst on the throneEmbarrassed I noticed the ceiling light go out for no more than a second indicating a brief power cut. Great, all I need for my fibre disconnection issues, or so I thought. I was surprised when getting the stats off my ECI modem to see readings had changed on a positive note (I think). Here are my recent stats:

Line Mode: G.993.2 (VDSL2) — Annex B — Profile 17a
Status & Uptime: UP — 35m 17s — Resyncs: 1
Line State: showtime_tc_sync [0x801]
Power Mode: L0 - Synchronized

Downstream — Upstream

Attainable Line Speed: 75.234 Mb/s — 27.429 Mb/s
Actual Line Speed: 75.394 Mb/s — 20.000 Mb/s
Trellis: D: ON — U: ON
Bitswap: D: ON — U: OFF
G.INP: D: Not Enabled — U: Not Enabled
Virtual Noise Support: D: Not Supported — U: Not Supported
Interleave Depth: 1098 — 1
Interleave Block: 85 — 255
Interleave Delay: 8.0 ms — 0.0 ms
INP: 3.0 — 0.0 
NFEC: 85 — 255
RFEC: 16 — 16
LSYMB: 23326 — 5410
LPATH: 0 — 0
Line Attenuation: 13.2 dB / 12.1 dB
Noise Margin/SNR: 2.9 dB / 10.9 dB
Transmit Power: 3.5 dBm / 3.3 dBm

Errors Since Line Up
FECS: 91207 — 44614 
ES: 0 — 101 
SES: 0 — 0 
LOSS: 0 — 35 
UAS: 34 — 34 
HEC: 0 — 0 
CRC_P: 0 — 0 
CRCP_P: 0 — 0 

Errors in 15 Minutes
Code Violations: 0 — 0 
FECS: 6116 — 0 

Errors in 1 Day
Code Violations: 0 — 118 
FECS: 91227 — 44614

From the new stats I've noticed that actual download speed has increased to just over the max attainable, Bitswap on the upload is now off, Interleave Depth on download has increased, Noise Margin/SNR on the download has decreased but on upload has increased, and Transmit Power on both download and upload have increased. Obviously all the FECs, etc have changed due to the power cut, but I'm surprised the stats still say only 1 resync.

Any thoughts on these new stats I obtained, and the changes I've noticed would be greatly appreciated.

Community Veteran

It's not unusual to get a speed increase after a power cut.
The theory is that you obtain sync before some others on the same cabinet so have less cross talk at the time which would otherwise reduce your speed. It may also be that other noise sources which normally affect your sync haven't started up yet.

The trick it not to resync -- enjoy the extra speed while it lasts Wink

bigshorty40
Grafter

Thanks for the explanation npr, although the increase in speeds didn't last long. I don't know whats going on around here today but we had another power cut about an hour ago that lasted just over 30 minutes. This has dropped my download speeds by a little over 10Mbps, typical!Angry