Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Stability

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Line Stability

That just indicates the fault report with our suppliers has closed which could’ve happened for a number of reasons.
Let me look into this tomorrow when I’m in the office.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cwaite
Rising Star

Thank you, but why would this be closed by anyone when I am waiting for you to confirm a date.

BTW My next door neighbours speed has now increased to 39.67mbs, his is increasing whilst mine is decreasing!

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It looks like the fault report closed automatically due to inactivity as we didn't respond in a timely fashion.

I'll need to get it re raised, I'll update your ticket shortly

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cwaite
Rising Star

Well the Engineer came out was a Green Speed Engineer he changed the socket, reset the line, and said that being a Greenspeed Engineer he couldnt do any more, he said that I should insist that a broadband boost engineer is sent.

Also G.INP was switched off whilst the engineer was working on the line when I questioned him about this he did not have any idea what this was or how to turn it back on.

Please could you arrange a broadband boost engineer to look at this furher.

I have just run a test on the line and it seems the speeds are worse still now getting 15.48mbs

201709201248 BT Wholesale SpeedTest Stats.jpg

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear the engineer couldn't fix the fault

I don't think boost engineers exist anymore/it's also not something we can request.

Testing your line is showing your sync speed now 25mbps within your estimates.

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 25.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 3.8 Mbps

Are you testing using a wired or wireless connection?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cwaite
Rising Star

Great so another Openreach engineer that is giving me incorrect information. The engineer distinctively told me I needed a Broadband Boost engineer he said that he could not progress this himself and I would need to contact Plusnet to arrange this.

I am connected via ethernet and even he admitted that the speeds were as he said "slightly lower than before". He also when I spoke to him about SNR and Attenuation he admitted that he had no idea about that side of things, why did you send an engineer that is not trained in broadband speed issues.

What's happening with the G.INP why has this been turned off.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

why did you send an engineer that is not trained in broadband speed issues.

We raised a broadband fault to BTwholesale. I am very sorry to hear Openreach didn't assign a broadband engineer.

However, your speeds are now within your estimates/the expectations for your line.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

If the engineer did a Line (DLM) reset that will remove G.Inp, if you are lucky it may come back sooner or later. On my FTTC line it came back 2 or 3 days after the line was reset but can take much longer. What exactly is a "Green Speed engineer" doesn't sound much good if all he can do is change a socket.Angry

cwaite
Rising Star

However, your speeds are now within your estimates/the expectations for your line

As you can see from the Speed tests they are not within the Estimates/Expectations of the line the actual throughput is even lower

Just Ran another test on my PC

201709201851 BT Wholesale SpeedTest Stats.jpg

Here are my Line Stats from the HG612 Modem, the Engineer started work around 11:00 am and Finished at around 12:45pm, I'm no expert but whilst the sync rate has improved the throughput is worse and it does look like there is more interference on the line (would this be because the G.INP is off?).

Click the Link below to see my stats in OneDrive

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuuoQtRhe-fgnqQvsqL3Zcow8-Mwpw

cwaite
Rising Star

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

If the engineer did a Line (DLM) reset that will remove G.Inp, if you are lucky it may come back sooner or later. On my FTTC line it came back 2 or 3 days after the line was reset but can take much longer. What exactly is a "Green Speed engineer" doesn't sound much good if all he can do is change a socket.Angry

Thank @RealAleMadrid Will keep an eye out to see if it goes back on, as I say he didn't even know what G.INP was! A Green Speed Engineer was probably a made up job title, he wasn't exactly honest with me about anything else!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's probably worth getting another engineer out there to further investigate

I'll follow up tomorrow when I'm back in the office

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cwaite
Rising Star

Thank you, I look forward to hearing from you

To remind you I did actually state in my ticket the following

4:13pm, Thursday 14 Sep 2017

Any of the next 3 Wednesdays (20th, 27th September or 4th October)

Do you have any questions? Will the engineer be a broadband engineer (I have had many engineers call in the past stating they are not specifically trained in VDSL faults)

Do you accept the possibility of a charge to your account? YES (but if the engineer does not show, or is not trained in VDSL faults then I will be seeking compensation for taking time off work)

Therefore as this engineer was not adequately trained to investigate the fault I will be seeking compensation of £75 for taking this morning off work.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As per my previous response, we raised a broadband fault to our suppliers.

I am sorry to hear the engineer couldn't fix the fault entirely, however by replacing your master socket and resetting your line the sync speed improved to within your estimated [the expectations for your line].

However I understand that your throughput is still slow. Are you testing using a wired connection and with no other devices connected to your router?

It's worth noting that it can sometimes take multiple engineers to fully diagnose and fix a fault.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Whilst we can't cover your loss of earnings, we will be happy to discuss a gesture of goodwill once the matter is resolved.

I'll update your fault ticket shortly.

Thanks.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cwaite
Rising Star

You have told me today to try the BT Wholesale speed test on an ethernet connection nothing else connected which I have already done. But this has made no difference. Please can you check my profile as when I check my line speed here:

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

It says my line speed is 20.7mbs

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The connection profile on your account should have no bearing on your throughput, because your service is provisioned on the WBC Dedicated network [as opposed to WBMC Shared].

Having said that I've manually adjusted it now to the correct level. Can you reboot your router and retest please?

EDIT:

@cwaite Apologies, scrap that first part. Whilst your account was showing as the service provisioned on WBC Dedicated, looking to the RADIUS server your traffic is routed through WBMC Shared because of your static IP address.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet