cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Stability

cwaite
Rising Star

Line Stability

Can someone from PN please check the stability of my line, I have noticed that my sync rate has been dropping recently, and noticed that my connection was dropped a couple of times last night.

Also my sync speed is around 10mbs less than my next door neighbours (who is also with plusnet) and his dropwire goes to the same pole as mine, so I would have thought our speeds should be roughly the same!

33 REPLIES 33
cwaite
Rising Star

Re: Line Stability

My line speeds have now gone down even further I am now down to 21.4mbs, I have tried speaking to someone on the webchat who was just concerned with saying that the T&C's state I have just got to live with the fact that my broadband is around half of what I was told I would get when I joined. She said she had run a test on the line but would not email my a copy of the result due to data protection (even though its my data on the screen)

Please could someone from PN check my line stability!

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

http://dslchecker.bt.com/  what does it say here when you put your phone number in ?

As for your test i am unsure if a Email is possible but you can ask to be sent here , but i see no reason as to why they cant Email .

Hopefully one of the staff here will check the GEA test and post it here

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to see we've missed this thread.

Also my sync speed is around 10mbs less than my next door neighbours (who is also with plusnet) and his dropwire goes to the same pole as mine, so I would have thought our speeds should be roughly the same!

Your service may be connected to a different cabinet than your neighbour's.

Hopefully one of the staff here will check the GEA test and post it here

GEA Test coming up...

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0003
Description No problem found, OAM test is not currently supported on this line.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 21.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed 3.6 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1284.6
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 23:00 to 23:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Profile Name 0.128M-25M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-5M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2017-08-25T16:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 22.3 Mbps 24.9 Mbps 24.5 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 3.2 Mbps 3.6 Mbps 3.2 Mbps
Up Time 745.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.4 Sec
Retrains 0.0 2.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2017-09-07T14:35:25Z 2017-09-07T14:50:25Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 1
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

As your speed is below [very slightly though] your estimates of 22mbps I'd recommend completing internal checks here and reporting a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cwaite
Rising Star

Have now done this, just run the test and I see RED!

When I joined plusnet in 2012 I was told that my estimated speed was 40mbs (accurate to within +/- 1mbs) I actually got 36mbs, my speed has been decreasing ever since I joined. My next door neighbour whose also on PN and dropwire runs along side mine to the same pole and then to the same cabinet  gets around 38mbs. I have understood that my line will never get what was originally estimated but I its totally unacceptable to be now getting less than half.

Estimated Speed Order.jpg

201709071830 BT Wholesale SpeedTest Stats.jpg

cwaite
Rising Star

I raised a fault as you suggested and got this back

Thanks for reporting your broadband problem

Our tests have found a fault with your broadband service.

You've given us all the information we need about your problem, we'll raise this to our supplier for investigation.

A Ticket has been raised to our Faults Team to monitor the problem and we'll be in touch when we have an update for you. In the meantime:

1. Leave your equipment plugged in and powered up.
  2. Make sure you've given us a contact number we can reach you on (we'll keep you updated about your problem by text message).

If there's any change to the problem you're having please get in touch with us.

Your support request has been escalated to the correct team for review.

The next action on your Contact Us Ticket is due on Sunday 10th September at 6:00pm. This ticket will remain open with the CSC - FTTC Faults - Speed until this time.

Its been over 24 hours since the next action was due (see above) but no heard anything

Also I noticed in your tests that it says my Estimated Line Length is 1284.6 meters, however, an Openreach Engineer ran an program on his laptop which gave an estimated length of around 650 meters (I may be getting the speed of a line that's 1284 meters but I assure you its nothing like this length)

Estimated Line Length In Metres 1284.6
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've provided an update to your fault ticket with the next step.

Also I noticed in your tests that it says my Estimated Line Length is 1284.6 meters, however, an Openreach Engineer ran an program on his laptop which gave an estimated length of around 650 meters (I may be getting the speed of a line that's 1284 meters but I assure you its nothing like this length)

That's just estimated.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cwaite
Rising Star

As per your suggestions (on my ticket) I have removed the Openreach NTE5 MK1 (https://goo.gl/images/NhPX4Z) Filter socket and plugged in a ZyXEL Z350UK ADSL Filter (https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyXEL-Z350UK-2-Approved-ADSL-Filter/dp/B003V4N2MK) Into the test socket. Do you need to reset the profile at your end for me to see any difference?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The profile shouldn't affect your throughput.

Testing your line is still showing the sync at the same place. I can see one of my colleagues from the faults team has just picked up the ticket about 10 minutes ago. I'd expect him to contact you shortly.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cwaite
Rising Star

Ok Thanks, will wait to hear from them.

cwaite
Rising Star

Quoted from Ticket

" [CSA Removed]- CSC Analyst
2:54pm, Tuesday 12 Sep 2017

Dear Mr W,

As discussed this afternoon, your broadband is now running at its expected speed, which is currently 21.4kbps.

Please continue to monitor your connection, and if speed test falls below the minimum of 19.8Mbps, please call us on 0800 432 0200.

Kind regards,

[CSA Removed]"

Just ran a speed test and its already fallen below the minimum:
201709131800 BT Wholesale SpeedTest Stats.jpg

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) CSA name/s removed to private staff area as per Forum rules

cwaite
Rising Star

I have run another test at Midnight and its still below 19.8mbs201709140000 BT Wholesale SpeedTest Stats.jpg

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm a bit disappointed in that response you've received, sorry about that.

Whilst testing your line is showing your line speed very slightly below your estimates, it's still below.

Can you reply to your ticket with the requested info and we'll get an engineer booked in?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cwaite
Rising Star

Thanks I have replied to the ticket as requested 

cwaite
Rising Star

I got the message below on 14th September

"

******************* - CSC Analyst
3:04pm, Thursday 14 Sep 2017

Dear Mr Waite,

To progress your fault, we'll need to arrange an engineer visit. Please reply to this message with 3 available timeslots for an engineers visit. The available timeslots are weekdays either between 8am & 1pm or between 1pm & 6pm.

If the engineer finds the problem is with your internal wiring, your equipment, the condition of your property or the Openreach network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like building or garden works or if no fault is found, you will receive a charge of £65 to cover the cost of the engineer. This charge will also apply if you miss the appointment or you cancel without giving us 2 working days' notice.

This charge will apply at all times when we're working on the fault and you'll need to accept this statement again if the issue is closed and then re-opened.

Do you have any questions?

Do you accept the possibility of a charge to your account?

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reply to this ticket. Alternatively, please feel free to get in touch with us via Facebook, Twitter, or even over at our Community Forums (http://community.plus.net/)

Kind regards,

"

I replied the same day giving 3 dates as requested and confirmed the possibilty of a chage,  and then today got this

Script User - Automated Script Pool
2:58am, Monday 18 Sep 2017

The broadband fault has been closed by the supplier. Should problems re-occur, please restart the Broadband Fault Checker.

Why has no-one got back to me to confirm a date and more the point Why has the fault been closed? What is going on Plusnet?