cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Speed

fumbledore

Line Speed

I have just received an email From Plusnet after 14 days of service with details of my line speeds. It says that my estimated line speed is 3Mbps and that my current line speed is 21Mbps. Fantastic, except for the fact I am not getting anywhere near 21Mbps speed although I am get considerably more than 3Mbps.
Could anybody explain the meaning of these figures as I am somewhat confused by the difference between these speeds and my actual speed.
Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Line Speed

are the speeds you are getting wired or wireless
fumbledore

I connected my PC directly to the BTO modem to run their speed check. It was very similar to the speeds I have been getting with the Plusnet WiFi router.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Can you post the results of the BT speed check including Further Diagnostics
fumbledore

OK. Will do. Just need to reconnect it.
fumbledore

OK. Here are the figures from BTO Speed Checker.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

According to the BT speed test your fibre speeds are horrible and look more like an ADSL result
This will need a staff check
fumbledore

Interesting. I'm certainly on a Plusnet Fibre according to my contract and for my connection I had a 'BT Engineer install' 2 weeks ago who installed a modem to which I connect the Plusnet router. I certainly have seen an increase in speed since the install so I am surprised that you say I am not on a fibre connection.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I didn't say you weren't on fibre just that your speeds are nearer ADSL values
The Plusnet Current Line Speed should be the same as the IP profile and isn't so something is very badly adrift
When you signed up for fibre what was the estimated speed
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I've run a few tests and it's not a lot of good news I'm afraid.
You were estimated at 4mbps when you signed up to Fibre so at the moment you are getting above this.
However the estimated speed range for your line is between 4.4 and 8mbps so you won't be getting anywhere near 21mbps.
This will most likely be as fast as you will get.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
fumbledore

Thank you Matthew.
OldJim - It's as Matthew says - I was estimated at 3Mbps, but the BT line checker gave a range of between 4 and 8Mbps. Trust me, I am getting a 100% increase in speed which is good news for me. Long may it last. What did puzzle me though was the email fromPlusNet saying:

Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.
Estimated line speed: 3Mbps
Current line speed: 21Mbps
You can keep a track of your line speed through our website:

When I saw the 21Mbps I was surprised, but felt I would need to check in case something had changed. I guess not...  Angry
I'm still intrigued to know what the 21Mbps is referring too.  Roll_eyes