Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Speed Confused estimates

FIXED
outtopasture
Dabbler

Line Speed Confused estimates

As a new Plusnet customer, I got an email after two weeks.  It contained the following:

Estimated line speed: 5.8Mbps to 9.5Mbps
This shows the normally available speeds your line is capable of. You may have chosen to buy a product which runs at slower speeds.
Current line speed: 37Mbps
This is a measure of the actual line speed you are now receiving based on the product you have taken.
Minimum guaranteed access line speed: Not available
This is the minimum speed you should expect to achieve on your line.

The estimated line speed is what I expected (having had previous investigations done on the line) and what I'm actually getting is about 7.7Mbps download.  Where they get the Current line speed of 37Mbps from I have no idea.

Later in the email it says the following:

"Your current speed is lower than your Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed. We want you to get the best broadband speed you can, so take a look at our guide and follow the tips to help improve your speed."

So, now I'm really confused.  Apparently I'm getting a speed about 4x faster than the line is capable of and also a speed lower than the 'Minimum Guaranteed'.

Could someone please explain what this all means?

13 REPLIES 13
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Line Speed Confused estimates

Hi @outtopasture,

Apologies for any confusion this email has caused, the only bit you really need to pay attention to is the estimated line speed. The current speed advised is incorrect and is just a default value, however your connection does appear to be performing within the estimated speeds provided.

I hope this clears things up.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
outtopasture
Dabbler

Thanks for the rapid reply.  The only point I'm now not clear about is what is my Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed? Is this not the speed that is supposed to be contractually deliverable?  If not, what is the speed enforceable in the contract?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

That's a good question, and something I can't answer at this moment.

Leave this with me, I'll find out for you.

@outtopasture

Clarification has been had. An estimate of 5.8mbps would give you an MGALs of 4.60mbps. This is the minimum speed your router should sync at. Having said that, we'd raise a fault if your sync rate is below your estimates.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
outtopasture
Dabbler

@Gandalf

Many thanks for that helpful reply.  (As an aside, I observe that it took me about two months and many phone calls to get similar information out of a rival company - T**k T**k!). So, well done!

On the other hand, if it was so easy to calculate, why was the original email I was sent such a dog's breakfast?  I don't expect you to reply to this but someone in your organisation should have a look at your procedures for notifying new customers about their speeds.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That's because your account was created before the 31st May which is before we signed up with the Ofcom Voluntary Speed Code of Practice

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
outtopasture
Dabbler

Thank you, yes, I was aware of that.  But I was sent an email on 23 June saying that MGALs was 'not available' and now, only a few days later, I have been told what it is.  So it is available, apparently.

I'm not trying to be difficult; I'm just pointing out that confusing your customers is unhelpful.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Sorry for the confusion.

The original email advised it was unavailable, because your account was created before the signup date. We've just manually added MGALs to your account now, so it's likely you would have received the 2nd email because of that.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
outtopasture
Dabbler

@Gandalf

Ooops, seems I clicked a bit prematurely on the fixed button.  Just looked at my account details and it says the MGALs is 17.6Mbps.  This is almost double what the line is capable of.  And about 4x what I was told was the MGALs further up this thread. You might want to look at this again.

On the other hand if you're offering to guarantee 17.6, I'd be delighted.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Can you provide me the link where it's showing your MGALS please?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
outtopasture
Dabbler

@Chris

It's in my 'Account Details'.  Presumably if you're on the staff you can access that.  I'm not sure how private it would be if I put a link on here.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That's because you're on fibre broadband, your estimates are...

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 27.4 19.4 5.7 3.7

...making the MGALs correct. I'm unsure why the email stated your estimates are lower.

Apologies for the confusion caused.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
outtopasture
Dabbler

@Gandalf

Thank you.  I know you are doing your best and I'm genuinely grateful to get these replies.  But now you're adding to the confusion.

I know from previous investigations by Talk Talk and Open Reach that the line is not (or at least was not, a year ago) capable of more than 10Mbps (because I'm so far from the cabinet, let alone the exchange).  I actually get around 7.5Mbps most of the time.  I've never had anything remotely approaching 17.6.

If you're saying that my MGALs is actually 17.6Mbps (and therefore that is the basis of the contract), then I shall be looking for a discount on my tariff.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Unfortunately if that's the case we wouldn't be able to give a discount I'm afraid.

I'm surprised the estimates haven't been updated if Openreach have been out previously.

As the speeds are below the MGALS you can transfer to another provider without charge but you'd need to raise a fault first so a engineer can go out and confirm the speeds can't be improved.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team