Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Rate and Profile Difference

cwaite
Rising Star

Line Rate and Profile Difference

Hi

It appears that my HG612 Modem is showing that my line rate is 25499 kbit/s (down) with an Attainable rate of 27364 kbit/s, however when I run a speed test on the BT Wholesale Speed Test Site it tells me that my profile is set to 23.24 mbs and my actual download speed is 22.48mbs. I have attached screenshots.

I know that I would never get the attainable rate of 27365 kbit/s but I would have assumed that my profile would be set to the same a my line rate of 25499 kbit/s (i.e 25.49mbs).

Can someone tell me if they think there is a problem with my profile being incorrect. 

11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Line Rate and Profile Difference

That is odd - the IP Profile is supposed to be calculated automatically from the sync speed multiplied by about 0.967 with G.INP enabled and your ratio is 0.91

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The BT IP Profile is usually about 96.7% of the actual rate. I've heard of one instance where the percentage was less, and no-one knew why it was less in that particular case (http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17336.0.html).

cwaite
Rising Star

Thanks guys I will take this up with PN and see what they have to say!

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

When we're testing your line it's showing the sync as 24Mb/s, so a profile of 23235 is right (assuming it's slightly over 24Mb for the sync speed).

Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 24.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 3.5 Mbps
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

so why is the modem giving a different number

cwaite
Rising Star

Yes the modem is reporting a sync speed of 25499 kbit/s, so why is there such a difference, between the modem and what you are reporting? Can you look into this further please Chris?

I have attached a copy of the modem stats that I have just taken.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There's not actually much I can look in to more if I'm honest, all I can get is the sync reported on a line test at a specific point in time. It may simply be that the router reports in a slightly different way, hence the variation.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
cwaite
Rising Star

When I first joined plusnet fibre I was getting 36mbs since then its now fallen over time to 24mbs. My next door neighbour is currently with Talktalk on ADSL he comes off the same telegraph pole as me, and his modem on ADSL syncs at around 12mbs, seems to be a bit of a poor show that I only get double on VDSL of what he's getting on ADSL. He is switching to PlusNet fibre tomorrow (I think) so it will be interesting to see what speed he gets when his fibre is activated and if its going to push my ever falling speed down again.

cwaite
Rising Star

My neighbour got Plusnet BB, Engineer who was due to fit the fibre did not turn up between 8am and 1pm as promised, he got a text at 15:45 that day saying that the engineer had been rescheduled to attend between 8am & 1pm on that day?????? Very confusing as that was the time he was originally scheduled and that the text arrived nearly 3 hour after the scheduled time slot!

He ended up plugging the modem in himself, as the engineer still has not turned up (3 days later), he now has fibre at the same speed as he had regular ADSL broadband with Talktalk (12mbs). PN said they would send an engineer out Monday to take a look, told him to expect to be fobbed off, just like I was!

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I thought FTTC was normally self-install these days, the engineer only goes to the cabinet.

cwaite
Rising Star

Yes thats what I thought, I was suprised that they told him that an engineer was calling! I justed assumed that as our lines are in such a state here they were going to fit a new BT socket to give him the best possible speed!