Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Profile / Support Issues

RPrie
Dabbler

Line Profile / Support Issues

Hi guys

So I have had some issues where my line was banded. A request was raised to complete a DLM reset but along the way, the request was incorrectly carried out, various IP / management profiles adjusted across different systems because each time a support representative picks the call up, they don't read the ticket or updates - just the headline with two exceptions which fixed the issue until someone has picked the call up and made a mess just now.....

I have had "discussions" with different members of support staff around how the infrastructure works - one member claims that having a fixed IP address (I do) makes no difference to your line speed however another clued up colleague confirms that there is an additional hop / infrastructure to pass through where different settings DO have an inference on the line speed (which does make sense to me).

Please help and return my sanity - or even start the process again if needs be!

13 REPLIES 13
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Line Profile / Support Issues

Hi @RPrie, thanks for your post.

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconsistent information you've been given. One of our core values is that we are 'Straight Talking' and the experience you describe certainly contradicts this - I'm sorry for that.

On checking line, we can indeed see that the line has been banded to 67mbps, with you achieving 66.9mbps.

Usually this would be an issue but as your line estimates are 49 - 68.6mbps, removing the banding is likely to make no visible difference in the speeds you're seeing your side as you aren't quite hitting the banded speed.

Plusnet as a company have no direct control over the DLM on fibre connections - we usually need to arrange for an engineer to attend to remove any banding.

By all means, we can request this for you so please do let us know but it is worth noting that if no fault is found there is the potential for a charge to be added to the account - which we of course don't want to do.

RPrie
Dabbler

Hi @OskarPapa

Thanks so much for your quick and honest response!

Its just been a busy period and still is really I guess so I'll take it with a pinch of salt and concentrate on getting things right if you guys can help me along.

So the background, I have experienced 2 issues - one on the line / line manager and another fault with my router. Both of which had been resolved though left my line below expected values.

My line which is brand spanking new (literally just a year old) was stuck in planning and commissioning and according to "paperwork" with your supplier, has never been updated on the system or recently retested - subsequently, my line is capable of 72mbps which your various systems have identified from initially becoming a customer to over the past few weeks of troubleshooting. I've got operating screenshots of the HubOne performing at just this too.

The problem is that:

* No one knows if the DLM has actually completed or been processed correctly
* I have a fixed IP address however, no one person's account of how the infrastructure works marries against which operating profiles should or should not be configured within PN's infrastructure

* I begin to obtain a "higher" working speed but have my profile reduced by Plusnet which means that I am never going to be able to perform better with the DLM or obtain true potential.

So in summary, the prior fault in the open call was owing to a line issue near the cabinet which has been resolved, the faulty router replaced meaning no engineer should be required as the fault has been cleared - the problem is that the cleanup has not been completed and my service has not been restored to prior ability so surely would not envisage any costs in any circumstances? But more to the point, I'm curious as to why I have been fixed banded?

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @RPrie, thanks for your reply.

I've checked again with Openreach and again am getting the same results that your line estimates are 49-68.6mbps.

That's not to say that the estimates were previously higher, however, we don't have access to older estimates. I've taken the liberty of attaching what I'm seeing below, which is checkable at dslchecker.bt.com - you're looking for the VDSL Range A figures:

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number REDACTED on Exchange REDACTED is served by Cabinet 11

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 68.6 49 18.1 11.7 43.8 Available Available --

As line estimates can change at any time, there isn't a great deal we're able to do as you are achieving the estimated speeds, albeit at a lower rate than previously.

With regards the banding, we're not given a reason. In my experience the list of reasons is so long that there isn't even much point in me trying to hazard a guess, although it's usually due to a stability issue. (I realise that this doesn't really answer your question)

With regards an engineer, as we have no remote control over fibre DLM profiles, an engineer is required to attend to physically interact with the network to remove said banding.

In relation to Static IP addresses causing an extra hop - That's 100% correct as a static IP routes your connection in a different way to dynamic IP addresses. Although, this shouldn't really make much of a difference in your usable speeds.

I hope this helps to answer your questions but please do get back to me if you have anything to add or have any further questions.

RPrie
Dabbler

Hi @OskarPapa

So that line estimate is what I was referring to - they were never correctly calculated due to a planning issue within your supplier that I have been chasing up. I'll not bore you with that!

RE Static IP - thanks for confirming that! I understood also that the different or additional hop shouldn't have an impact on traffic however, I was given reason to believe that one of the profiles configured (if set incorrectly) could have bearing on my line due to having a static IP and my traffic passing through.....?

OK so in which case, please could you humour me and say that my line *could* potentially hit 70 as without putting words into your mouth, I think you sorta agree it might have previously.... can you set your relevant profiles to 70 meg across the relevant platforms for a customer with a fixed IP address rather than the lower rates that some of the support engineers have set and allow me to request a DLM reset?

Does this sound a reasonable way forwards?

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @RPrie,

I have sent a request to a trial team to reset the DLM profile. This will only effect the profile highlighted in red below.

Profile Name - 0.128M-67M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off.

Along side this, I have increased the account connection profile to match the desired profile of 0.128M - 80M as the throughput (speed shown when you run a performance test) will be effected with having a static IP if the profile is lower than the new sync rate.

Please allow up to 48 hours for the DLM reset to take effect, you may need to turn your router off then back on after this time for the new profile to take effect.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for taking a look at this one for me @Jubby.

@RPrie, please don't hesitate to post again, when we've seen whether or not the trial DLM change that my colleague has arranged for has helped.

RPrie
Dabbler

@OskarPapa @Jubby - You are both a credit to Plusnet!

Thanks so much for your replies, guidance and assistance! I really appreciate it!

I'll hopefully be replying back with some good news! Thanks guys!

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's absolutely not a problem @RPrie, we're glad we were able to (hopefully) get it resolved for you.

Remember that we're just a click away if you do need any further assistance at all.

RPrie
Dabbler

Hi @Jubby

I just wondered if you knew when the reset was booked for or if it had gone through to avoid any unnecessary router reboots.

Ta muchly!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I'm afraid the reset hasn't been put through yet but I'll get it re-added.

Unfortunately, I suspect the restrictions will soon be re-applied as your line seems to start dropping a lot and errors increase after the reset

Ultimately we need to get to the bottom of the drops/errors as if we don't we'll be stuck in a loop of resetting the line continuously.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
RPrie
Dabbler

Hi @MatthewWheeler

Thanks for re-adding me! Any ideas what went wrong there?

The fault for the RADIUS dropouts I am aware of and have resolved with a member of support. This was resolved around the 19th with a planned outage on the 24th to replace an NTE5 facia plate.

Both the carrier (BTW) and session layer had issues which we diagnosed through the various test results very quickly however sadly, some incorrect configuration had been applied to my account which has now been resolved - just awaiting DLM reset 🤞🏻
RPrie
Dabbler

Sorry guys - I know you don’t know when the dlm takes place - only I can tell that or if checked through the RADIUS logs though that could be ambiguous. The request was not sent through so just checking if it has gone through.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @RPrie

It doesn't look like your circuit was added to the tracker previously.

My colleague Matt has double checked this now and he can see it's been added and sent off.

Let us know how things look by Friday.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet