cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Performance

Danmcclurg
Grafter

Line Performance

Hi, been fairly happy with our FTTC line since we moved from sky ADSL with dial up speeds, however as of recently I have noticed the speeds dropping, I initially was getting around 60 M/bit download speeds and around 19 M/bit up, however although the up speeds have remained constant the download speed has dropped to around 50 M/bit, at the same time I have noticed my speed profile drop to around 54 M/bit as well, could one of the PN staff run a line test to make sure everything is running smoothly and make sure it is just cross talk which cant be helped,
on a side note I have also noticed my ping has been rather erratic as opposed to the normal 10ms ping I used to receive.

Many thanks
9 REPLIES 9
benfranklin
Grafter

Re: Line Performance

I suspect you are being affected by BT Openreach's recent rollout of G.INP discussed at length in this thread. Those of us with Openreach modems manufactured by ECI but connected to street cabinets with Huawei hardware are seeing the exact symptoms you describe - reduced sync speed and increased ping/latency.
Danmcclurg
Grafter

Ahh I see thank you:) im fairly techie but have never heard of G.INP, what exactly does it do? im having a hard time understanding from that forum thread
darklight
Grafter

@Danmcclurg  Read this http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15283.msg284199.html#msg284199
I had a problem with speed, and profile dropped by 10Mbps so i got a unlocked HG612 from ebay and all returned to normal soon as i powerd up the replacement HG612 modem, didn't need to call plusnet to fix my profile all back to normal.
Danmcclurg
Grafter

righto, I may have to invest in one, I completely get that this isn't PN's fault but I find it a bit stupid that customers should have to purchase extra equipment because of what seems like and OR cock up,
thanks anyway,
p.s I finally understand G.INP Smiley
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Just to confirm your line does currently have G.INP enabled as shown below.
"0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission Low"
However your current sync speed is 60mbps so I would expect your speeds to be in the high 50's rather then the low 50's
What results do you get when you run the BT Speedtest below?
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Matthew - could you check please if g.inp is enabled on my line? I have an HG612 winging its way to me in the hope it resolves my jump in latency. It would be nice to know if g.inp is definitely active.
Thanks.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I'm afraid yours doesn't.
Your profile is "0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Interleaving On" which means you have interleaving on your upstream and downstream.
This will account for the higher ping times and it's most likely been added due to errors on the line.
As long as the line stays error free in theory DLM will remove it in time but there isn't anything we can do remotely to remove it I'm afraid.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Danmcclurg
Grafter

Hi, thanks for checking that, I ran the speed test over a wired connection and attached the results, I also noticed that when I first got fibre the BT dsl checker showed a low speed of 70.9 M/bits that has now changed to 40 something, does this mean that as my speeds have decreased BTOR have dropped my estimate?
could the speed drop also be to do with the fact that I have an ECI modem connected to the HUWAEI cab? any news on a fix for this yet?
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Matthew. Based on what you say, when I get my HG612, unlock it, and put on the SP08 firmware, I should not expect to see any significant latency change. At least I will have stats.
I guess the question now is trying to figure out what is causing errors on the line. Maybe once I have the stats I can start to hone in on that. Right now I can't quantify the errors, other than to say that interleaving is on.
The other curious thing, is that I understood G.INP rollout to be complete on Huwaei cabinets by the end of March. Does the information you gave Matthew mean that G.INP may be enabled on my cabinet, but it just isn't active on my line?
Thanks again.