Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Fault - Maybe DLM reset or Master Socket replacement

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Line Fault - Maybe DLM reset or Master Socket replacement

@aa12344   That is looking quite a lot better, I guess it was a DLM change, I don't think PlusNet have done anything. What is a bit odd is that the downstream noise margin is still higher than expected. FTTC lines are not supposed to run with elevated noise margin ( unless maxed out at full speed) so is it still banded?

@MasterOfReality  A GEA test would help here to check the Line Profiles.

aa12344
Dabbler

@MasterOfReality, Yes, i suspected you wanted to see if the DLM auto health kicked in, but i read it can take up to 10 days, so not being that patient, i wanted PN to kick it into action beforehand.

So, knowing the system best, is there likely to be any other DLM improvements in the coming days? (is the algorithm easy to follow and predict?)

What caused the max rates to drop (upload offered is nearly 1/3 of previous) - does the (new) GEA indicate interleaving or other mechanisms at play? And would these come off again later given enough stable time?

Finally - Can you comment on whether it's generically possible to do any work remotely on my Exchange? (We are relatively certain that there is no line faults - so engaging the Engineer will be to interact with the cabinet/exchange i expect?) I would hate to devote (my, your, their) time and 3rd party energy if a simple remote request would achieve the same.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

Here's how things are looking today from our point of view, DLM should do it's job for us and bring the profile back up again so we need to let that take it's course really. If however the connection starts to drop again we'll need to focus on that for you which would mean an SFI visit. If however it remains stable and there's no improvement to speeds we may be able to look a remote fibre DLM reset, do bear in mind though that's being offered to us on a trial basis so we can't guarantee such a request would be accepted. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
aa12344
Dabbler

Rebooted router when I got home from work - no change apart from max attainable upload rate now 1047, exactly the same as actual rate (was previously 3013)

So, the GEA report indicates that my profile has error (retransmission) protection enabled? Should this not be OFF (or no error protection) on a clear line? 

How long should we wait for the upload speed DLM limits to clear? 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I'd no worry about error protection as that shouldn't have any negative impact on speeds. DLM should update after 72 hours but can take longer for a fibre circuit in some cases. - Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
aa12344
Dabbler

Ok, I tell you what, 

It's the warmest day on record in Scotland and life is short. I won't bother with this until at least Monday, give it a good 72hrs+ to bed in and sort itself out. 

Have a good weekend.

aa12344
Dabbler

5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:02:40
6. Data rate: 1051 / 19135
7. Maximum data rate: 1190 / 25544
8. Noise margin: 6.2 / 10.1
9. Line attenuation: 34.3 / 29.9
10. Signal attenuation: 35.1 / 25.3

@all rebooted the router at 0415 this morning. No major change to the upload speed. No improvement on the down speed either - stuck at 19 when 25 available and noise margin at 10 (greater than 6!)

@MasterOfReality - 4 days solid uptime has not resolved this - can we proceed down the fault route please? 1.4 is the min, and I was getting 3 previously. 

Thanks

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Afternoon @aa12344 

I agree - it's time we get an engineer to investigate this as, if it was going to auto fix, you'd expect it to have happened by now.

I've updated this ticket with the start of that process. 

Gice it a read through and reply to it as you have in the past. 

Shout up on here once you've done that and one of us will be able to book in the engineer straight away,

Thanks