Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Fault - Maybe DLM reset or Master Socket replacement

aa12344
Dabbler

Line Fault - Maybe DLM reset or Master Socket replacement

Hi folks,

Short version: Can I please request a line check to determine if there is a fault that can be resolved by a Master Socket replacement, a DLM reset (assuming can be done remote now), or as a fallback, an engineer visit?

Advised the assistance via this forum is superior to the ticketing system, as we can have a technical discussion beyond providing a time slot for an engineering visit. Happy to provide any info requested. I have an HG612 modem and happy to provide you any required stats from CLI over telnet.

I have replaced microfilter and modem (now using Hub One). BT VDSL Range A (Clean) estimates between 14 and 21mbps - currently getting 6.8 from BTW tests, below handback value of 12mbps - assume DLM banding in effect, but hope fault may be resolved now that I have switched out all devices except the Master Socket. HUB ONE reports :

3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 Last updated 02/11/17
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 08:43:59
6. Data rate: 723 / 7553
7. Maximum data rate: 3013 / 24636
8. Noise margin: 15.1 / 23.1
9. Line attenuation: 33.6 / 29.8
10. Signal attenuation: 36.7 / 25.3

Long version

I was on holiday and remote into the house for various work based activities, so noticed when outages were significant. I have Cisco Meraki kit which monitors the ADSL connection among other things, on June 7th - the line went bad - constant drops - outages lasting 1 - 4 hrs. There were storms in the area, so I have suspicions that something happened to protection circuitry REIN/Filter/etc. I have nice graphs of the outage times - 100% uptime for weeks before June 7th and then more down than up since, clearing again in the last 24hrs. 

So now I have returned, I have temporarily moved back to the Hub One (from HG612) and changed out the micro-filter (always was on the test socket - no extensions). This has increased my uptime considerably and drops are now much less, about 4 times today, for a min or two at a time. 

I am ready to have a Network Engineer friend change out the Master Socket next if there is evidence that it may have taken a hit during the bad weather or such like. This would save the time and energy to engage a field engineer. Can be done within hours rather than days.

I suspect that DLM has kicked in to stabilise my connection, hence the 6.8mbps limit at the moment, max data vs actual. Would a reset have any effect today? - I note my download speed is well below the handback value.

Can I please request any checks you can do to advise me on best option? 

DATA:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low         VDSL Range A (Clean) 22.2 14.4 2.9 1.3 12.8 Available -- --   VDSL Range B (Impacted) 16.5 7.6 2.7 0.8 5.2 Available -- --

BTW Test -

Download speed achieved during the test was - 6.81 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 5.12 Mbps-7.31 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 7.31 Mbps 

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.66Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

22 REPLIES 22
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Line Fault - Maybe DLM reset or Master Socket replacement

Hi @aa12344 

I've had a look into this for you. 

First of all, this is how your connection looks from a visual perspective; 

So as you stated, it has become an awful lot more stable since about 22:00hrs yesterday. 

I wanted to see if this had indeed compromised your speed, A GEA test has shown me that your router is currently in sync at roughly 7.6 Mbps, which is in the middle of your Estimated Speed Range provided by our Supplier and no issues have been identified in the BTW network. 

As we can not see anything right this second to give us cause for concern, nor raise this issuer to our supplier - could I please ask that we monitor this connection for returning drop outs? 

Can I ask - does the visual RADIUS read out match up time wise with when you changed back to the PN supplied hardware? 

Thanks, 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

How is the phone line? Surely the first thing to check, dial 17070 option 2 - is the line quiet? 

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Mustrum - sorry I should have included this information initially, from my tests it seems that OP's phone line is clear with no fault found. 

Thanks 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@MasterOfReality   A downstream noise margin of 23.1dB along with a sync speed around one third of the attainable rate would give me a lot of cause for concern, there is something seriously wrong with the line or equipment.

@aa12344  Have you tried a single resync of the modem/router as you should be getting a much higher speed. 

aa12344
Dabbler

Thanks all for the responses.

So, done the work from 1300 yesterday and that seems to tie in, a few reboots and playing with settings in the afternoon, some drops were not me, but from 2000 last night all seemed to be solid.

I was getting 20mbps previously, so would like to return to that as soon as. From the look of things, I believe the Master Socket is good then, no faults detected, and solid performance seems to support that too.

So, what options do I have to obtain the best speed, circa 20mpbs? Is there anything I can do my side or do I need to request a DLM reset?
@RealAleMadrid - What do I need to do to force the sync reset?
deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi there.

I've ran some checks from our side, and the line is now looking stable. However, we can see that the line is currently syncing at 7Mbps. The next step would be to book an engineer, please can you respond to the ticket on your account at https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=176514822

Please let me know when you have done this so I can book it from our end.

aa12344
Dabbler

Hi Dean,

Thanks, what does the engineer need to do? Can anything be done remotely? I ask as I don’t have the capacity to stay in for a 6hr period in the near future.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

So Master of Reality thinks there is no fault and cannot raise any issue to their supplier, but Deank is trying to arrange an engineer visit, there seems to be some inconsistency here.

@aa12344  Have you tried a quiet line test as suggested by Mustrum in message #3 ? PlusNet's line testing does not pick up a noisy line. If you have extension phone sockets can you test from the test socket behind the master faceplate to eliminate the effects on any internal wiring.

You can cause a resync by powering down and restarting the router. If the line is banded it will resync at the same speed but I don't think your sync speed is a banded value, but worth checking. The noise margin should be 6db after a resync, possibly lower, which should give you a much higher connection speed.

aa12344
Dabbler

@RealAleMadrid,

Ok, I tried that yesterday a few times but could not coax out any additional speed. The silent line test was also clear, couldn’t ID any noise. I can persist with reboots when at least 6db clear (I spotted that on the forum and tied it) but I’m not hopeful of any change since yesterday, unless you think more “clean” time will have helped?

@all,
My aim at the moment is to either leave the line alone long enough to get DLM to up the speed on its own or have PN wipe its history and relearn. What is the correct terminology I need to use to convince PN to achieve this?

Also, from last message, is there a definitive need for onsite support from an engineer? Can anything be done remotely first?

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi again.

As you have got connected up to the test socket, and swapped out both your micro filter and router, you have helped to rule out any potential issues from your side. While testing the line on our side, we are seeing no issues on the line and everything is set where it should be. The only issue left outstanding is the sync speed of the line. The next step to progress an issue like this, would be to arrange an engineer to check back from your property to the exchange, and try and locate the fault location causing the sync issue.

I can see that the line has now remained solid for the last 17 hours, so if you wish we can monitor the line for a further 24 hours to see if that sync speed returns. Should it not, however, the only remaining step would be to book an engineer to investigate.

Just as a side note, I can see in your original comment that you mentioned a friend replacing the master socket for you. I would have to recommend against this, as the master socket is Openreach property, and should they find that it has been adjusted or changed in anyway, you could potentially be charged by them.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed with this one, as I am more than happy to take a look back at this tomorrow for you and see how the line is running before progressing further.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

Does it always resync at exactly the same speed? If that is the case it would tend to suggest you are banded. PlusNet should be able to confirm this from their GEA test, but they will probably deny it. If they don't accept that it is banded you could ask them to explain why the noise margin is so high.

aa12344
Dabbler

Hi all,

So, im back after a day away and the connection remains stable and with 100% uptime, I believe that's 48hrs now without any issues. The stability has returned to normal. No work has been done on the master socket (and my OpenReach buddy would not touch it as its extremely verboten, apparently)

I have rebooted the Hub One twice now, first disconnecting the PPP. This has not helped the speed. 
I am still on:

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: +081441+NQ72910094
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 Last updated 02/11/17
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:02:06
6. Data rate: 723 / 7553
7. Maximum data rate: 2743 / 24409
8. Noise margin: 14.8 / 22.8
9. Line attenuation: 33.3 / 29.9
10. Signal attenuation: 37.2 / 25.4

NOTE : The data rate values are exactly the same, while the Max rate is a little varied. I am fairly certain that this can only happen if I am banded, unless Plusnet can offer an alternative?

@deank@MasterOfReality,@PN: Can you please review the GEA data, discover the banding and work to remove it?

@RealAleMadrid, thanks for the support.

aa12344
Dabbler

Morning all,

Im happy to report that I had a drop this morning (0526-0529) and that the sync rate has become more reasonable. 

Was this an action by PN or just coincidence (DLM doing its thing)? Can you please post the GEA.

Can anything be done to squeeze more performance out? - I see I am just above 6db on the upstream, (previous max rates were 2700 up and 24000 down) and from before the recent troubles, ~22000 was the norm- Current:

5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 03:55:15
6. Data rate: 1044 / 19135
7. Maximum data rate: 1183 / 24710
8. Noise margin: 6.2 / 9.8
9. Line attenuation: 34.1 / 29.9
10. Signal attenuation: 35.6 / 25.3
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi again, 

Looking into this again I can see your sync speed has jumped up to 19.1Mbps, and your noise ratio (from your data) has dropped considerably  - perhaps I should have explained more thoroughly that this is one of the things which I was waiting to look for when I said "monitor the connection" previously (sorry about any confusion or annoyance this may have caused anybody) as from my past experiences with tests results and issues similar to OPs, this has happened a handful of times, and I'm glad it has in this case as well. 

This speed of 19.1Mbps is within the Estimated Speed Range for the line, with the Low Estimate being roughly 14Mbps.

An up to date RADIUS shows the resets which you have done and an additional drop, and then a stable connection going forward again - which is very promising given the state of the connection previously; 

(your message this morning came through as I was drafting my reply to last nights post, allow me to tag this mornings reply onto this one as well for ease of viewing) 

I can see your upload is hitting 1Mbps, this is, I admit, falling below the Low Estimate of 1.3.

Now, theoretically, this should be the same in the eyes of our supplier as a DL speed below estimates - the reality is that it is notoriously more difficult to get an UL issue investigated than a DL, however, as far as I am concerned, even though we do not guarantee UL speeds  we should be aiming for estimates. Having said this, I am more than happy to raise to our suppliers anyway on your behalf?