cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Drops when backing up to a cloud system

vignamic
Dabbler

Line Drops when backing up to a cloud system

Anyone seen this. It's been happening for a while now. PN support over stretched again on phone for 1 1/2 hours today. When we attempt to send backup data to a clould server the Fibre Line drops ever few minutes. Had to use another line to backup. What a Pain !!!

6 REPLIES 6
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Line Drops when backing up to a cloud system

vignamic
Dabbler

Hi Thanks,

No tried that first put an old BT VDSL on it and connected to a Draytek router. Same thing still happening.

Thanks again.

superfetch
Dabbler

I have the same problem!

It's so annoying, we only get 0.2-0.5 upload (on sky ADSL we had 1mbps!) so practically anything can knock the connection over.

Wish I had of never switched from Sky's faster 100% reliable ADSL to Plusnet's slow unreliable FTTC!

jrilton
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Not sure if I have a similar issue but I use google drive. I have the app installed on my PC. What I didn't take into account is that drive now stores Google Photos too. So every time I take a photo and turn on my PC, Drive wants to sync. It seems my connection basically dies when this happens. also uploading from my phone to G photos saturates my connection too, but as i am ADSL, I'm not surprised. 

What does surprise me is when drive starts to download the photos to my PC it also seems to make my network grind to a halt. 

I still can't be 100% sure this is why I get slow downs but it seems to at least be a contributing factor. I have disabled the g photos to stop it syncing with my PC.

superfetch
Dabbler

That sounds just like our issue. As soon as I upload to GDrive the latency jumps up massively to around 4 seconds. And yes I mean seconds!

Must be some sort of connection between us, like the gateway we use at plusnet, I've noticed from trace routes that the slowness is all at Plusnet.

jrilton
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What is odd though is this issue only showed up, from memory, abour September. i do remember checking what gateway I was on a few weeks before and it was Plusnets 'old' network. Then I started having issues and I noticed I was now on plusnets new network. After seeing the issues some were having with the new network I initially thought it was down to that, but PN insist its nothing to do with that.

Google photos has been backing up on my PC for months, so I have no idea why its suddenly became an issue. Can't help but think PN net network isn't that great. That could be totally wrong though.