cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Check Please Profile Drop Overnight.

FIXED
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Line Check Please Profile Drop Overnight.

My profile has been dropped 5Mbps suddenly. looks like there was a disconnection this morning. My profile has been 47.35 or thereabouts for months, today its 42.24.

Can you test my line please and see whether there is a fault?

14 REPLIES 14
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Line Check Please Profile Drop Overnight.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks, i've done all that, but I have no ability to access the data that PlusNet have on my line, they are able to see faults.

My Profile on the BTW Performance Test has been 47Mbps for months, rock solid, today it is 42mbps there must be a reason for this. Is it temporary? Do we pay for service level that will be clipped by 10% every few months to maybe sell that capacity to others? There has to be a reason and that is what i seek.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

It could be that another user on the same cabinet has a new fibre connection which is causing crosstalk interference.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Yes, that's possible, there has to be a reason. My understanding is that there is technology to counter this, planned or installed in cabinets already?

I have no access to data on my line bar a few rudimentary figures like connected speed. In theory I can see connection drops, but it is basic stuff only, nothing like the data available to Plusnet.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Is it still within the estimates from the dsl checker?

Has your sync speed dropped, also the max attainable speeds?

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

I'm away from home at the mo and will check later. Certainly the estimated speeds have dropped on the BTW Performances Test in line with the reduced profile speed.  Not really an honest estimate if they can move goalposts to suit is it. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

That will depend on sync speeds and what DLM does to your line, it adjusts automatically to get the best out of the conditions, the dsl checker is what you should use to see what to expect.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @danludlow,

While testing your broadband connection is not indicating a problem, your sync speeds have dropped slightly below the estimate for your line.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 43.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 12.6 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 778.4
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Good
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-49M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 59.5 44.2 13.6 8.6 40 Available -- -- -- --

I'd always recommend going through our Troubleshooting Guide in the first instance, however if you continue to experience speeds below your estimate following this, please raise a fault Here and we'll investigate further.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

My Speed has remained doggedly lower since first raising this. Yesterday I attempted to reinstall my Router modem after a "factory reset" It doggedly refused to link to PlusNet and instead locked onto a BT page with addresses and DNS I'd not seen before. I gave up and plugged in my original (ECI?) Openreach Modem using my Modem Router in Router mode only.

All works fine, but as i say, speed remains doggedly at the New BT Profile of 42.5Mbps or thereabouts. For about 9 Months I have had a Profile and Speed of 47.34Mbps, Before that the Profile and Speed were over 50Mbps so the line is capable of faster, or it was.

I include two BTW Performance Test pages that show speed deterioration over the past year. the thing with this is that the Profile is lowered when speeds are dropped so getting a red bar gets harder. There are some (like myself) who believe that the orginally supplied speed should stand as the marker and so falling below rings alarm bells. How else is pressure put upon wholsesalers to reinforce the infrastructure and preven the constant lowering of the bar?

Anyway, I am where I am, so what to do about it?

My feeling is leave it for a few more days and see if speed returns. if not, over to you for suggestions, possibly an Engineer visit? In posting this I wanted to make you aware that the speed having dropped overnight (on Monday?) has remained lower. I didn't want silence to suggest that all is hunkydory.

Is there any way of discovering why the speed has dropped? There must be a reason.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Speed still low this morning. (as attached). Lost the internet about half an hour ago for perhaps 3 minutes but lights showed still connected on Modem (all green). Considering that my modem may be faulty? May well look to replace it, pondering it.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

I meant router, sorry.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Sorry to hear you're still experiencing problems.

@danludlow wrote:

Anyway, I am where I am, so what to do about it?

@HarryB wrote:
I'd always recommend going through our Troubleshooting Guide in the first instance, however if you continue to experience speeds below your estimate following this, please raise a fault Here and we'll investigate further.

@danludlow wrote:

My feeling is leave it for a few more days and see if speed returns. if not, over to you for suggestions, possibly an Engineer visit?

If you're still experiencing problems after going through the requested troubleshooting steps above, please raise a fault via the link above and we'll be able to look in to this further.

It's possible an engineer visit may be required, however we'd first need you to report the fault on your account so we can raise this matter with our suppliers for further investigation.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

For the second day, my IP profile has returned to 47.38Mbps but Speed tests see speed doggedly at 41Mbps using the original Openreach modem. Up speed has improved about 2Mbps to 13mbps. Attached shows the higher IP profile for last two days (BTW Performance Test is very "iffy" these days BTW - excuse pun!).

What in my system could be holding back? Router? I have reset this back to Factory Reset and reconfigured at least twice, and nothing shifts the speed back up.

Suggestions please.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Fix

Rebooted the Router again this morning and this time the "Missing" Speed returned!!

45Mbps Down, 13Mbps Up at the PC.

Feeling happy again.