cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Attenuation sudden increase

bugs4me
Grafter

Line Attenuation sudden increase

Since moving to PN Fibre my line Attenuation has been 33.0 to 33.5 - everything stable at a DL of 10000Kbs for the past 3-4 months.
Suddenly the Attenuation has increased to 37.1 with a DL 7960Kbs. Looks as though it's BT playing with the lines but is there anything that PN can do about this or am I at the mercy of BT
Any input/thoughts appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
bugs4me
Grafter

Re: Line Attenuation sudden increase

An update - have spoken to PN via livechat and there's nothing they can do. Apparently I am already receiving a DL speed of 4mb in excess of what I should - oh lucky me. So the 'what I should be receiving' would only just be above what I was obtaining with the old ADSL equipment.
Forgot to mention, the only reason I get my current speed is I ditched the OR modem and PN router and replaced them with a VDSL Billion. Using the supplied OR modem and the PN router then the whole thing maxed out at 4mb!!!
Requested that the problem be escalated as clearly a OR engineer has played around with the copper cable route and this was refused. As an aside, pre-Plusnet days, this happened to me before and the speed dropped off the cliff. Was resolved within a couple of days by BT so why PN cannot do the same is beyond me.
bugs4me
Grafter

Final update. Decided to escalate this myself within PN and hey presto - suddenly everything returned to normal regarding the attenuation and resultant speed.
Maybe PN did get involved or maybe it was coincidental that OR were in the process of sorting it anyway and everything was a temporary 48 hours situation.
What did surprise me was the apparent 'dismissive' attitude of PN when I used the livechat facility. Not impressed with that but at least now sorted.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

did you have heavy rain at the relevant time
bugs4me
Grafter

No adverse weather here - even the wind has been okay. Noticed the attenuation dropped on Wednesday although it may have been earlier.
Now all sorted so a go figure moment for me.