Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving because of poor performance

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Why I have left Plusnet

Some people have line's that are so short that they can still get the full 80/20 even with a bridged tap caused by extension wiring or whatever. In which case, it doesn't really matter.

Also, how can you have over 100% loss? That doesn't really make much sense.

royleestoves
Grafter

2.4ghz allows for further distance but poorer speeds. One of the guys at work managed to disable 2.4GHz, and it only affected 1,000 users from almost 17k. Most use 5GHz now.. Maybe that 1k was old equipment
royleestoves
Grafter

It bounces, I think when there is other remand for packets. Like I've said earlier.
royleestoves
Grafter

Using cat5e and 6
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Its possible - but very unusual for Gigabit ethernet to fail. Typically at the connectors or just conceivably if its bent very sharply around corners or if you try to use enormously long cable runs.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been split from another topic. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
royleestoves
Grafter

No more than 25m runs. I've triple Checked cabling. Possible the bt cabling.. But for it to Be bouncing.. Still possible this modem it on its last legs. I did used to have a 24 port switch attached which worked fine for months.. But then it started having broadcast issues.. So that is not disconnected all together
royleestoves
Grafter

No more than 25m runs. I've triple Checked cabling. Possible the bt cabling.. But for it to Be bouncing.. Still possible this modem it on its last legs. I did used to have a 24 port switch attached which worked fine for months.. But then it started having broadcast issues.. So that is not disconnected all together.

Just got back home from popping out, no Internet..
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Some observations from what's been posted.

As @ejs says, if you are close enough to the Cabinet, you can be connected at 80/20 (which you are) even with a bridge tap.

However, I also note from the KBD test, there is a mention of daily interference. Now maybe this is affecting the performance and maybe the bridge tap is not helping in this respect, but Plusnet staff have said they are seeing next to no errors when testing the line. So there appears to be some inconsistencies here.

You've stated you have Cat 5 & 6 cabling, but it's not clear if you ping tests have been done wired to the modem-router, or via a wireless connection. If via a wireless connection, you should repeat them using a wired ethernet connection to eliminate any issues with the wireless.

In view of all the information to date, I'd certainly be looking at trying another (known good) modem-router to eliminate your current one as the source of the issues. See if you can borrow one from someone if you don't want to buy one. I would want to try a different one from the standard Plusnet issue.

royleestoves
Grafter

Cable is fine.. Being a network administrator/engineer for 20 years does teach you a few things. Well I changed the router to only using one ssid and to 5GHz. Not only is it still an issue, it is slow and quicker with 4G. Pretty sure the modem or my internal bt wires are kaput. Will get one sent out when I get chance to call support.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Just to confirm by "cable is fine" do you mean that the speeds are fine over a wired connection to the router?

If so then the issue is unlikely to be with the line and more so to do with the wireless side of things

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
royleestoves
Grafter

Cable as in cable. Cat 5e or cat6, all 8 cores checked.. Terminated to rj45! Each end!
Anotherone
Champion

@royleestoves I think what @MatthewWheeler is getting at is, "Is it the cable on the telephone side of your connection?" ie. from/to the master socket and any other sockets etc.

Or is it the Ethernet side of your installation from your router? I've interpreted your last remarks as meaning the Ethernet side, but you do need to be more explicit with a number of your comments/statements for the sake of clarity Wink

Anotherone
Champion

@Townman wrote:

Might an iffy joint report as a bridge tap?

Extremely improbable. It would have to have some exceptionally weird and unusual characteristics for that to ever be the case.