Did you mean: 

Leaving because of poor performance

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Why I have left Plusnet

Hi @royleestoves,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your connection. I've tested your line but the test hasn't picked up any problems from here and indicates that your line is currently syncing at the full 80mbps down and 20mbps up. Do you experience performance issues on wired connections or is it just wireless?

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 80.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 261.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence ; 00:00 to 23:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 9
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-12-22T09:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 80.0 Mbps 80.0 Mbps 80.0 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps
Up Time 261.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.3 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-01-04T09:16:27.488+00:00 2019-01-04T09:31:27.488+00:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 2
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Please can you run through our troubleshooting guides here and let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
royleestoves
Grafter

so did you run a standard kbd test? Because I had one done yesterday, and once it finished I didn't have the same issue that eventing.

I'm going to set modem to use only one said 5GHz and then run tests.. But I find it strange that kbd cleared it temporaryily.

These modems, mine is several years old.. It there nothing better available now? Or can I go and purchase something better so I can trunk to another switch?

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @royleestoves,

I can confirm that this was a standard KBD test, it's odd that the KBD from yesterday stopped the connection issue during the evening.

In terms of your router, you have our Hub One which is our most up to date router. If you'd like to use a different router, you'd need a third party router that's not locked to another provider and is VDSL (fibre broadband) compatible.

Please let us know how you get on with the tests. If you've not done so already, I'd also recommend that you run through our troubleshooting guides here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@EmilyD wrote:

Hi @royleestoves,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your connection. I've tested your line but the test hasn't picked up any problems from here and indicates that your line is currently syncing at the full 80mbps down and 20mbps up. Do you experience performance issues on wired connections or is it just wireless?

Please can you run through our troubleshooting guides here and let us know how you get on.

I thought that:-

Bridge Tap Detected

was a "very bad thing" - is this true?

BTW I have a separate modem and router and both have been running 24/7 for 6+ years. The wifi is rubbish - but I only use it occasionally, so I don't mind.

Otherwise, that 261m distance to the cabinet is virtually the same as mine, so you should be good for 70Mbit downloads.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

royleestoves
Grafter

Thabks for the input VileRey. Would this be at cabinet?
VileReynard
Hero

Yes - the bit from the cabinet to the exchange uses a real fibre connection.

It's only the length of the wire to the cabinet that counts.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @VileReynard, thanks for pointing this out. "Bridge tap detected" could be caused by a few things both internal and external and although I'd advise to run through the below troubleshoot steps to narrow down where the bridge tap is coming from I'm not entirely sure this is behind the connection issues you've been seeing as of recent. This due to to next to no errors we are seeing when testing the line and full speeds getting tot he router fine.

Moving forwards I'd advise getting the router in the optimal set-up which should help determine where the bridge tap is coming from whether be internal or external.
Testing in the optimal set-up would entail plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the face plate of your master socket and seeing if the issue persists (or continues to show when we re-test). This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause being the bridge tap (cabling that doesn't terminate anywhere). How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If you could please drop us a message when in this set-up we'll happily re-test from this side to see if the bridge tap is still detected.

As my colleague asked previously, is it that you notice the ping spikes when gaming over solely wireless connections or wired also? As your mention of the 5GHz change makes me think that you could be gaming over a wireless connection and it may be interference being the intermittent issues you're seeing?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

@EmilyD wrote:

Hi @royleestoves,

I can confirm that this was a standard KBD test, it's odd that the KBD from yesterday stopped the connection issue during the evening.

Line tests have been known to "clear" iffy joint issues … until they get damp again.  Might an iffy joint report as a bridge tap?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

royleestoves
Grafter

VileRey, couldn't see your full response earlier regarding separate router and switch. I could set my own up, how did you as wireless? And what did you go for, supporting vdsl. Little disappointed not on vdsl2.
royleestoves
Grafter

It's noticed it did get worse last few months and it has gotten worse however kbd wouldn't clear joint connections surely.

I do have several by sockets around the house with the main at the front door 😕
I did terminate one socket.. I think an internal test of my by wiring is also needed just not sure how to achieve.
VileReynard
Hero

The router has 2.4GHz wireless built-in.

I think VDSL acronym is often used regardlessly of it being truly VDSL or VDSL2.

royleestoves
Grafter

You know some devices now only run on 5GHz now? Will they stop 2.4GHz?

I suppose for now my line is fine with the limit of 100 mbps, seen as though I get 80 😕
VileReynard
Hero

I think ALL devices are dual band.

5GHz doesn't travel through walls as well as 2.4GHz

Also, most (all) ? public wifi is 2.4GHz

royleestoves
Grafter

Lagg is still there. Getting 176% loss that comes and goes still
VileReynard
Hero

If you are using wifi, then you have to change your connection method or buy an expensive modem-router with loads of aerials on it in an attempt to get a better performance.