Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving Sky for PlusNet

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Leaving Sky for PlusNet

The text message will be referring to by 00:00:00 on the 5th but it's easier to think of it as by 23:59:59 on the 4th.

Sorry for the confusion here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SportyMilo
Grafter

ha ha! Got you - great thanks. That makes sense. @Gandalf 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, it's an oddity of the system that's surprisingly difficult to change!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SportyMilo
Grafter

If the speed of receiving the Hub is any indication I am going to be very happy with the fibre speed! Text message yesterday saying it was on its way and hub delivered today. Can't fault that!

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

We're sure that you will be @SportyMilo 

It can be very easy to only see the negatives on our Community without realising that we do have many customers with no issues at all!

If you need any assistance at all please drop us another post, we're available here 07:30 - 22:00 365 days a year! (Aside from the great, master wizard @Gandalf who basically lives here!)

SportyMilo
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf & @OskarPapa I am due to switch over on Tuesday (4th June) and I have received my router, last week (very impressed) and i just wondered if I will receive anymore correspondance now or the switch will just happen?

As it's my first time switching i wasn't sure what usually happens with Plusnet.

Many thanks for the continued support.

Looking forward to the changeover!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @SportyMilo

I am due to switch over on Tuesday (4th June) and I have received my router, last week (very impressed) and i just wondered if I will receive anymore correspondance now or the switch will just happen?

The next notification (via email and/or text) you'll receive would likely be when your order has completed. Normally the phone line transfer will complete first then the broadband will follow (anytime before midnight) with a separate notification.

You may be without service on the day while the engineering work is carried out but hopefully it doesn't take long. Generally for switch-overs from Sky as they use their own equipment in a lot of exchanges, an engineer will connect the phone line to BT equipment there, then connect your fibre service to the right port at the cabinet (the green box in the road).

If you use a home phone service it should start working as soon as the physical work has been done, for the broadband side of things the order needs to complete on the supplier systems, which triggers an internal notification for us to automatically activate your account. All this normally happens relatively quickly and before midnight on the day.

Once we've activated your account you'll receive an email/text to setup your router and you should then be good to go. Having said that, feel free to yell at us if things don't go to plan and we'll be happy to help out.

As it's my first time switching

Exciting times!

Many thanks for the continued support.

No problem.

P.S. we don't offer 24/7 support for home broadband, as @OskarPapa has alluded to I occasionally post in my free time - (in case you're wondering why I'm posting at 2am!)

Looking forward to the changeover!

Let us know how it goes Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SportyMilo
Grafter

Unfortunately it looks like sky have switched off my broadband off 3 days early absolute nightmare
Been without broadband for 12 hours so far not a good start
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @SportyMilo,

I'm sorry to hear that has happened, it's not ideal so I appreciate your frustration.

I've checked your orders and they are still scheduled to complete on time, as advised here.

Let us know if you need anything further.

Thanks - Tahir

SportyMilo
Grafter

thanks @LordFoul it is frustrating. I don't use the landline but borrowed a phone to check my telephone yesterday and that's still working but broadband isn't. All very strange. I can live without it for a few days but really hoping everything goes smoothly tomorrow and there are no issues! Time will tell! Thanks for updating me with that extra info on the question - hadn't expected Plusnet to move anything earlier, just wanted to vent my frustration on my mobile!!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hiya @SportyMilo,

I've checked your order and there isn't anything to suggest the engineering work was completed sooner as the engineering activity on the order is still showing as open and a required by date of tomorrow.

Normally I'd suggest getting in touch with your current provider (Sky in this case) to investigate this further as a fault however given that your activation date is tomorrow, it may be worth waiting it out. Sad

Fingers crossed things go smoothly tomorrow and you're back up and running then. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SportyMilo
Grafter

@Gandalf that was my thinking. if I got in touch with them today it would only confuse things so rather than upset things I thought I'd wait until the switch over tomorrow! Cheers.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah assuming the issue is engineering related, Sky arranging an engineer at this point would likely go out tomorrow at the earliest, which would cause a bit of confusion with the engineer going out then to connect your line up to the BT equipment we'd use. Hopefully things are completed soon tomorrow.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SportyMilo
Grafter

@Gandalf appreciate that.

SportyMilo
Grafter

So weird! Technology's a wonderful thing! After 3 days without Broadband (and Sky saying there are no issues in my area) I wake up to 3 green lights on my Sky Q Hub this morning and after testing I'm on full speeds around 83mbs downloads. Just in time for the switchover later today with Plusnet! At least the line is working so fingers crossed now but at least that's more promising than it was yesterday! Strange world we live in!