cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving Plusnet - Basic Contract Stuff

JHunter
Dabbler

Leaving Plusnet - Basic Contract Stuff

After more than a week of calls, online chats, twitter conversations etc and more than a month of steadily falling speeds (and latterly absolutely no broadband connection at all) I have decided to leave Plusnet. You can't do that online though - you have to call. Perhaps unsurprisingly if you select the options for wanting to leave on the call system you get put right through to someone instead of waiting 40 minutes as you have to for technical support. Then you are told that if you leave the contract early there are charges. So what don't Plusnet understand about how a contract works?

Well almost everything it seems. They seem to think that if they give you a refund for time disconnected then that's all fine and you can't leave without penalty so long as they are refunding you. Well if they ask their in-house legal team I suspect they might get an 'it's not really that simple' answer. If someone enters into a contract for service X and does not get it then that person is, at a basic level, allowed to walk away without the counterparty who failed to deliver coming along many weeks or months later saying "look! look! we have X now - give us money!"

To put it in terms that might be better understood by Plusnet -you can't hold someone's broadband connection to ransom on the basis that you might, one day, be able to provide the service you said you could in the first place.

Plusnet's understanding of the law appears to be on a par with their ability to make their broadband network functional.

4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Leaving Plusnet - Basic Contract Stuff

You are out of date

Unless you want to completely cancel or move to virgin Cable the process of moving to another supplier only requires that you place an order with that supplier

However there may well be cancellation charges

JHunter
Dabbler

No, I'm pretty much up to speed on how a contract works. My problem isn't the technicality of how to move, it's that Plusnet, despite not actually delivering the service they are contracted to, think that they can impose cancellation charges.

dnpark38
Rising Star

J Hunter

If you are moving to another provider you do not contact PN, the new provider does that.

I better add if Virgin it might be different I have had no dealing with them.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
JHunter
Dabbler

Yes but as I say, I don't have difficulty with the technicality of moving from one supplier to another, it's that Plusnet - who are in breach of contract by not providing the service they are paid to - think it's OK to charge me for 'early termination' regardless of their breach if I decide to move at this point.